NaComLeavMo – Let 'em know you were there

Confession – I check SiteMeter and Feedburner at least once or twice a day (sometimes more) to see who’s been by to read. I can’t be the only nut out there who high fives herself (or himself) and does a little get jiggy dance whenever more people have subscribed to their feed. It’s not about popularity, but it is about the gratification that comes from knowing your words aren’t falling on deaf ears (blind eyes, in this case?). That gratification is furthered when people like what you have to say enough that they take the time to leave a few words for you. Those words motivate you to keep sharing and help you feel more connected to others who have some commonality with you. In turn, that helps you feel not so alone.

For the record, I’m up to 30 subscribers, which probably pales in comparison to the amount of subscribers other bloggers have, but this is six more than I had on Monday so you can only just imagine the rumpshakin’ going on here behind my desk when I checked Feedburner this morning. But I wonder who these 30 are, because I have maybe ten or so regular commenters (hi, ya’ll!). Is it YOU? Are YOU the one who reads and runs? I wondered the same thing a couple of months ago in my post It’s National Coming Out Week. An excerpt:

This week, I challenge all the lurkers to come out and say hi. Not just on my blog, but on any blog that you normally read but never comment on. I don’t get loads of traffic yet (and I might not ever), but I do like to take several peeks at SiteMeter and Feedburner to see who’s been dropping by each day. I’m always thrilled when repeat visitors or someone from a different country has found their way here and stayed to read about my dumbassishness for a while. Hey, New Orleans – how’s it going down there? You from Paris – voulez vous leave me a comment just to say hello, okay? Cuyahoga Falls, what’s crackin’? G’day to the two who stop in from Australian locales. Livingston, UK – how do you do? I always wonder about the people on the other end of the digital distance. […] So, when you read your favorite bloggers this week, come out of lurkdom long enough to drop ’em a quick line.

After I posted this, Paris, New Orleans, Cuyahoga Falls, Australia x 2, and UK came out to give a little whassup. I’ve picked up some new lurkers since then, and now I wonder about the people who visit from Wetumpka, Cambridge, Culpeper, Sioux Falls, and the other people who have subscribed to my blog from a feed reader.

I’ve also been a read-n’-runner from time to time, which is one of the reasons why I signed up for NaComLeavMo. Firstly, I’ll be exposed to some new bloggers and secondly, it’ll slow me down enough to comment and let ’em know I was there. So, let me know you were here. Join NaComLeavMo and let others know you were there, too.

1. JJ on May 16, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Great profile on the L&F today!
    Are you a fan of James Patterson? I havent read it yet, but I hear his new one: Sunday’s at Tiff.any’s is great!

2. Moxie on May 16, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Hey, JJ! Thanks for stopping by! I read a few of his Alex Delaware novels many years ago, but haven’t read much more than those. I just went to his website and found a few books with interesting synopses. Thanks for the suggestion! Happy birthday to you, also!

3. Kara on May 16, 2008 at 5:45 pm

After dinner I’ll figure out some way to subscribe. Currently I just do a “click-by” several times a day to see if there is anything new to make me laugh (or cry). I’m so happy your you, Mia, and Urs I could just scream! YAY, for big plump juicy healthy eggs and lots of ’em!

4. Jessica on May 16, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Guilty (Hangs head in shame). I’m one of the subscribers who reads, but rarely comments. I think I have once or twice…maybe lol

5. kenya on May 16, 2008 at 6:39 pm

Always here girl.

6. cam on May 16, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Good idea to bring out the lurkers! I think sometime people avoid commenting but once you start it gets easier. Thanks so much for the kind words on my blog. It is the small acts of kindness that make things easier to deal with. 🙂

7. Moxie on May 16, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Kara, I’ll send you a PM on SMO to help you figure it out! Two words – Google Reader. It keeps you from clicking obsessively. 🙂

8. Moxie on May 16, 2008 at 11:20 pm

Cam, I’m really looking forward to reading more in your new journey. Thanks for stopping by over here!

9. # 1 Stalker on May 17, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Guilty! I promise to post more Moxie!

10. Wendy (HopefulSM) on May 18, 2008 at 1:34 pm

I confess! I’m a lurker on your blog. I check in every few days or so to see what you are up to. I so wish I could have made it to the peach meet but hopefully next time!

11. Rayne of Terror on May 19, 2008 at 2:47 pm

Hello from central Illinois.

12. Erin (2blueirisheyes) on June 3, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Confessions of another lurker here! I followed your linkie from SMO and have been enamored with your writing for a while now. Your style is just captivating and inspired me to start one of my own (http://oirishdiplomacy.blogspot.com/) Anyway, I finally figured out how to use a feed/subscription and remembering this post, I figured I should comment! 😉

13. Amber on August 29, 2008 at 8:19 pm

I realize this post was made almost 4 months ago and maybe you’re all “I’m the sh!t! I don’t need to know who reads me – I need to know who *doesn’t* read me!” now. But I thought I’d let you know that if it has been appearing in your StatCounter that somebody has forgotten their computer was on and left the browser on your blog…well, that was me. I’ve decided to read your entire journey from the beginning. And now that I’m already in May I’m bummed that my journey with you has gone by so quickly!
    But anyway, hello from Houston!