Show and Tell – I would puke for you

ToiletStrange sentiment, no? But this is the thought that has been going through my mind today each of the nine times between 3 am and now that I have knelt beside Kyra as she yakked up her insides. Some nasty version of the cooties has invaded my child's system, loosened the contents of her digestive tract, and has sent everything rushing towards the nearest exit.

Today while in my bathroom the Vomitorium, I can't help but think of the rib-crushing, violent morning sickness (that's a misnomer if I ever heard one) that I had while pregnant with her and Jaiden, my twins conceived on Clomid after 2.5 years of trying naturally with now luck. From weeks 6 through 16 I tossed my cookies anywhere from 6-10 times per day. Sometimes my chest and shoulders cramped and ached for days from the sheer force of vomiting. It was so bad that I'd often wake up from a dead sleep in the middle of the night and need to vomit so suddenly that I couldn't make it to the bathroom. Finally, we bought a big plastic bucket which we called simply, The Puke Bucket. I'd wake, grab the bucket, puke, swish and spit some mouthwash, then wake Frank, who would grab said bucket, rinse it out, and place it back on my side for the next round of buttcrack-of-dawn upchucking. As difficult as it was, each time I found myself on my knees before the Porcelain Goddess, or pulling over on the way to work to puke in a ditch, or (to my embarrassment) leaning over to puke in a trashcan in the middle of the mall, I thought of the two growing within and thought, I would puke for you. I would puke, and so much more.

Instead of going up to spend time with Mia today before tomorrow's transfer, Frank and I decided to stay home and care for the Girlchild Number One. We'll wake up tomorrow at O-dark-thirty in the morning to make the journey three hours north. My sister is here to care for el Cinco, but neither Frank or I felt comfortable cavorting the sandy South Carolina beaches and having a peaceful no-kids-allowed dinner at a fancy restaurant while Kyra was here recreating the green pea soup portions of The Exorcist. I'd rather be here, holding Kyra's hair back and teaching her the art of puking. Though I wish I could, I can't puke for her anymore. Now, I have to teach her what she taught me: "Don't stand, honey. That's why half of it went into the toilet and the other half just sprayed all over your legs. Kneel down like this. Put your arms here. Lean over, but not too far because it'll splashback, which is rather gross and will probably make you puke more. Take deep breaths. I'll hold your hair back. I'm right here. I would puke for you, if I could."

What did you bring this week for Show and Tell?

1. luna on May 25, 2008 at 8:05 pm

somethings a kid’s gotta learn on their own, I guess…
    it reminds me of my first bday I spent with hub — after a few hours cavorting on the beach and drinking too much wine I got totally dehydrated and he spent the night holding back my hair (and cleaning up) while I puked my guts up. now that’s love…

2. Io on May 25, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Being there for puking is definitely love…
    I have followed you on a few comments today and each time you’ve said everything I wanted to say so I figured I should stop by!
    Oh, and it freaks me out a bit to see your picture as you look very much like my SIL. (Who I love and think is gorgeous – so it’s not a bad thing at all.)

3. kymberli on May 25, 2008 at 8:54 pm

luna, I’ve never had so much to drink that I end up blowing chunks. It’s something I someday planning on crossing off my list of Things to Do at Least Once. πŸ™‚ Your husband sounds so wonderful that picturing him holding back your hair as you puke just fits the profile! I’m looking forward to reading a few entries from him soon!
    Io, that’s so funny about me beating you to the comments, because usually I find that people have already said what I’ve wanted to and I end up saying something rather lame.
    People often say to me, “Do I know you from…” or “You look a whole lot like….” I guess I just have one of those faces that looks a lot like someone else. Thanks for the compliment. πŸ™‚
    Now that I’m on summer break I can start reading people’s blogs from the beginning – yours is one on the list. πŸ™‚

4. Q on May 25, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Heh, splashback… I could have used someone to remind me of that when I had all-day sickness. Until getting pregnant, I hadn’t puked in a good 15 years, and even then I was too drunk to care much about splashback. But it is nasty.
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. And for the lesson in comment etiquette! πŸ™‚

5. Shawna on May 26, 2008 at 12:12 am

In a very strange way, that is one of the loveliest things that I have ever read.

6. K77 on May 26, 2008 at 4:35 am

Poor Kyra, I hope she starts feeling better soon. And of course all the best for transfer!

7. Alyson on May 26, 2008 at 7:09 am

Such love, beautiful story. Thank you.
    Alyson LID 01/27/06 (IA China)

8. sara on May 26, 2008 at 9:30 am

I hope Kyra feels better soon, and please let us know how the transfer goes. I’ll be thinking of you and praying for some great news!

9. SAHW on May 26, 2008 at 2:24 pm

That’s true love…puking for her and being there for her to puke πŸ™‚ I hope she recovers soon and all goes well with the transfer!