Seven

While eating pizza, playing Skee-ball, and being pulled from one game to the next, I tried to mentally compose what I would write tonight about the twins' birthday. I wanted something fluid and moving about this day, the seventh anniversary of the end of my struggle. I'd feel my creative direction begin to gel, but then I'd spot Kyra's new front teeth and her twisty ponytails or I'd hear Jaiden's characteristic maniacal wide-mouthed laughter, and the words, which would never be good enough anyway, would float away. How can this feeling be verbalized? Joyful is a start. Humbled is a part. Grateful is the whole, and yet it's not all. At peace is closer, yet still…it's ineffable. Deliverance, maybe. Whatever it is, drops me to my knees and makes me want to cry quiet tears of gratitude, enough to wash away all the past tears of angst.

Jaiden's favorite TV shows are Unwrapped, Semi-Homemade Cooking (with Sandra Lee, he insists), Good Eats, and Tyler's Ultimate. How many 7 year olds prefer to watch FoodTV over Cartoon Network? Kyra is  penning her first book: The Adventures of Farty McPuff-Puff and His Flatulent Frog. I realize that they are quickly following in my nerd herd footsteps. These quirky, intelligent, shit-your-pants funny kids of mine are worth every battle scar.

Mom & twinz
Crazytown

1. JuliaS on June 18, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Happy Birthday to the twins! Fun pictures. Seems like just when I am feeling blue from how fast my kids are growing up – they show me just how amazing they are again at this new stage and those old scars quiet down again.
    How are you holding up Moxie? Been thinking of you lots this weekend and hope that physically and mentally you are doing alright.

2. Kim on June 18, 2008 at 11:39 pm

Happy Birthday to the twins! My oldest turned 7 in February! I love the post about their Dad – too funny! Hope you are doing okay….nclm

3. Io on June 18, 2008 at 11:43 pm

OK, I am dumb. I JUST got the end of the struggle thing from yesterday.
    Wow. Dumb.
    HOWEVER, those are some cute funny kids you got there…although I am slightly unhappy about semi-homemade. Can’t you move him on to the Manic Organic or Anthony Bourdain?

4. kara_b on June 18, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Hi there – I just read your message to me on the VMB blog. Here is the link to my blog.
    You guys have done a really great job on the VMB blog, alot of thought, effort and humor which are all appreciated.
    Chat soon – Kara

5. Carrie27 on June 19, 2008 at 12:02 am

First, I love your hair!! Looks smokin!
    So…Kyra is going to be more like you and Jaiden is going to be like Frank (let him watch those cooking shows so he can be a great hubby for a future wife).

6. Kristen on June 19, 2008 at 1:33 am

Aw-you guys are adorable!

7. Mtnhighmama on June 19, 2008 at 1:51 am

Happy Birthday to you all!

8. luna on June 19, 2008 at 1:53 am

I love that J likes food network! I’m a tyler ho myself, he makes my favorite cake ever. and K will be a fine author with that as her first novel. love the pix, especially the cross-eyed mama one. my dad used to tell me I could get stuck like that…

9. tash on June 19, 2008 at 7:45 am

OMG, One of MY favorite shows is Good Eats! Jaiden just stole my heart. Any chance there are cooking summer camps in your area? (They have them here, I often wonder how young I can make myself up as) He might love one.
    Beautiful children, beautiful post.

10. ArmsforanAngel on June 19, 2008 at 8:12 am

Your family is just beyond adorable!

11. Fiddle1 on June 19, 2008 at 8:12 am

Loved this post. It really cheered me up and made me laugh. Happy birthday to your babies and happy anniversary to you!

12. Elizabeth on June 19, 2008 at 8:41 am

Happy birthday to the twins! They sound like wonderful children.

13. k77 on June 19, 2008 at 9:09 am

Happy birthday to Jaiden & Kyra! And to you too πŸ™‚

14. Trace on June 19, 2008 at 9:14 am

Happy birthday to them!!
    Love the book name. It made me laugh and I’m love anything that makes me laugh.

15. sara on June 19, 2008 at 9:23 am

I love the second picture of you guys acting goofy (wait, or is that you guys acting normal? Just kidding!) Anyways, it’s an awesome picture. I’m glad the day went well. It’s cool about him liking the cooking station. Maybe that balances out the fact that I still have an unhealthy addiction to skeeball as an adult πŸ™‚
    My dog’s name is Neela, she’s a bolognese (same family as a bichon.) It was fun seeing you all smiling in your post, it made me happy to read it!

16. sara on June 19, 2008 at 9:29 am

I just saw your comment about telling Frank to stop anally expressing himself. I actually think I peed because I laughed so hard! I think I may have to tell Jason the same thing next time the opprotunity presents itself!d

17. Rayne of Terror on June 19, 2008 at 10:32 am

Cute kids! Happy birthday to you and to them.

18. Calliope on June 19, 2008 at 10:42 am

adorable photos of some beautiful people.
    HAPPY BIRTH DAY!

19. Martha on June 19, 2008 at 11:25 am

Just delurking to tell you, BEAUTIFUL FAMILY, with a sense of humor too! Thanks bunches for sharing! Hope you all have a great summer!

20. Becky on June 19, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Happy birthday to the twins!

21. Erin on June 19, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Smile…celebrate all week!

22. Shea on June 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Beautiful picture! Happy Birthday from Colorado!

23. SAHW on June 19, 2008 at 3:45 pm

7 years…how amazing…sounds like Jaiden and I have a lot in common! πŸ™‚

24. JuliaS on June 19, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I chose the fall because that gives my baby a chance to get a little older and most of my kids will be in school. Just makes recovering at home easier with less bodies around. :0)
    Good wishes – glad to hear you are feeling stronger.

25. bleu on June 19, 2008 at 9:07 pm

So precious. Happy belated to the fellow gemini’s.
    Thanks for the well wishes.
    much love to you and yours hun.

26. Mya on June 19, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Your kids are too cute. Happy Birthday to them.

27. Kate on June 19, 2008 at 11:09 pm

Aw, I’m glad such a happy day is yours to behold. You’ve been through the wringer lately. And really, to offer to share your cookie dough is above and beyond, you are too too good for me. xo

28. DC on June 19, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Wow! They are SO stinkin’ cute!! Looks like you’ve got a chef and a writer on your hands. πŸ™‚ One of my brothers is a chef, and he’s been obsessed with cooking since he was about 5 years old.

29. Wishing4One on June 20, 2008 at 4:07 am

Wow, your nerd herd is more than awesome! You are so lucky to have ended your “stuggle” and man what you have to show for it, cutest twins ever I think!
    You sound like a GREAT mother and know that you are from all the selfless things you tell us about.
    I guess I just want to say glad I know you Moxie! xoxoxoxox
    Oh when her book gets published sign me up! I love the title!

30. sara on June 20, 2008 at 9:07 am

I’m so glad you’re doing a little bit better, thanks for letting me know πŸ™‚

31. Jennifer on June 20, 2008 at 11:20 am

Those kids are beautiful and smart! I’ll admit too that I got a little teary eyed when reading this post. You’re a great writer and a great mom!

32. PJ on June 20, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Seven is a MAGNIFICENT age! Having taught 1st and 2nd grade for years, I am still amazed at the sheer growth and willingness to be open to new things, of this age.
    Farty McPuff Puff and his Flatulent Frog?!!! LOLOL!