Better than sparking a doobie, because doobies give you the munchies

"Fatty, fatty, two by four! Can't fit through the dressing room door?"***

This morning I stood on the scale, which from long months of disuse had gathered a blanket of dust, and was shocked to find that I have gained so much weight in the past few year that instead of the digital numbers I was expecting, the readout flashed "to be continued…." Not really, but it did say that I have ballooned to an appalling 191.6 lbs, up from the comfortable 160-165 lbs that I weighed this time last year. I was 173 lbs when I weighed in at the clinic in February, so the bulk of this weight gain is a direct result of the two back-to-back cycles I've had since then. The cookies didn't help matters, but hormones always tend to wreak havoc on my body and my ability to control what goes in my mouth. Add that to having PCOS/IR, and I've porked up. Once again. Not cool.

It wasn't like the weight gain snuck up on me. My size 12's were fitting too snugly, and eventually I had to abandon those and unpack the 14's and 16's. "No big deal," I thought in mid-May. "Hopefully I'll get pregnant and then I won't have to worry about losing the extra baggage for a while." Then I did get pregnant (YAY!), but we know how that ended (BOO!). Between the YAY! and the BOO!, I'd told my friend and coworker that the transfer had worked. I didn't tell many people, paranoid Clockwatcher that I was, but I told her because she'd been a support person and had been waiting to know what the beta results were. I had not told her about any of the poor levels or of the impending miscarriage. Last Thursday I had to go up to the school to take care of a few things and coincidentally, she happened to be there. She said that on the way to the school she had stopped by the house and dropped off the box of maternity clothes that I'd let her borrow last year since I'd be needing them soon. "I know how you tend to start showing very early and I figured you'd need them before the school year started! Are Mia and Urs just completely over the moon with excitement!?!" I hated having to tell her that I was actually in the middle of miscarrying. Her face broke and right there in the middle of the front office, both of us sat there on the brink of tears. Sigh…moving on…I digress….

Where was I? YAY, then BOO…nope, not pregnant, so I need to get up off my lard ass because yesterday I had to suck it in to button up those 16's and this morning I eyed those maternity clothes, with their stretchy elastic bands for a moment too long. I have got to drop this weight, at least enough of it to fit comfortably into my 14's before the start of the school year in early August. Otherwise, I might get fired when I throw my South Beach Living meal in the face of the cafeteria lady who for the past nine years, has been a human barometer of The Size of Moxie's Ass: (chuckling smugly) "I see you dun went'n gained back all that weight you had lost." I will have to fight the urge to respond with, "I'm fat and you're stupid, but I can diet. Stupid is permanent, too bad for you."

So…there's almost no greater motivator than public humiliation group support. This morning I re-registered for SparkPeople. I used it last summer and it helped keep me on track long enough for about a 25 lb weight loss.  SparkPeople is like an online one-stop shop for weight loss and best of all, it's completely free. It helps you develop reasonable weight loss goals, formulates a meal plan (or lets you create your own, if you prefer), creates a cardio and weight training exercise plan, and provides community support for your weight loss efforts.

I've noticed that several people in the blogosphere are currently
trying to lose weight or just generally get into better shape, so we
may as well support one another with those goals as well. I've started a weight loss group on SparkPeople called IF Losers. Click here to access the group. From there, you can also sign up for SparkPeople. Enter my user name for the referral: SmartOneMoxie. Once you join, if you encourage other people to enroll, have them enter your user name for the referral. If you join up, post about it on your blog so you can help "Spread the Spark". The more, the merrier.

***Do you know what movie this line was in?

1. Trace on June 24, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Spark People is great! I’ve been a member for a while. I especially like the food calculator. I used to leave it open at work and enter my food throughout the day to see if I was in my calorie range.

2. Pam on June 24, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I can totally relate to how you feel. After my two failed cycles in November and March I had gained probably 25lbs and ballooned back to my pre-wedding weight. Very disheartening. However, I finally bit the bullet and signed up for Wei.ght Wat.chers online as I hate going to those meetings. Anyway, I’ve been at it a while and I’ve almost lost 10lbs! (yeah me!) However, enough about that. I wanted to say the one thing I found that really helped me,and was fun (as I’m not a great fan of going to the gym these days) was the Wii.Fit. I’m not sure if you’ve got the game console or not, but the investment has paid off for me. I lost 3lbs in the first 2 weeks of using it, and this was just using it 30-40 minutes four times a week. And it’s fun!! I’ve not blogged about the weight thing on my blog as that would mean I’d have to give regular updates but I thought I’d give you another idea to help. Good luck with it all.

3. Megan on June 24, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Hairspray?
    Anyway, good luck shedding the weight. If I had a husband cooking cream cheese pound cakes, I don’t know if I’d be able to do it.
    By the way, I love baking, but cakes almost always come from a box at my house. I’m going to try making that pound cake, though. It looks/sounds sooo tasty.

4. Moxie on June 24, 2008 at 3:09 pm

Pam, congratulations on your recent weight loss! The Wii Fit is definitely in my plans. I plan on making the purchase within the next couple of weeks. I’m glad to hear that it’s working out for you!

5. Moxie on June 24, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Megan, I’ve vowed not to actually start eating right until after that cake is gone. I can’t resist it, and I don’t want to sit here feeling guilty about inhaling a slice of that cake. I may as well just wait until it’s gone! šŸ™‚
    I’m definitely a cake-mix type of baker, but that recipe is so easy that if I was the type to make cakes from scratch, I could handle it. šŸ™‚

6. Jessica on June 24, 2008 at 4:24 pm

I know exactly how you feel! The summer before we were married I weighed 165 (I’m 5’5″). When we got married I weighed 155. Two and a half years later: I weigh 187…an ALL TIME HIGH for me.
    Last summer I tried First Place (Christian weightloss) and went from 184 to 175. In January I was back up to 184. I went to the gym 5 days a week (40-60 minutes) and was eating really healthy, I lost two pounds.
    I’ve since gained that plus 5 back.
    I just found out from our Doctor’s office that they’re holding a free seminar about medifast. Being that I don’t lose very much weight when I try hard for several months. I’m thinking of giving it a shot. Especially since I’ll be doing all the drug protocol in August. I’d really rather not start at 190 for that. Plus I feel that I have a better shot of things working if I’m at a healthy weight. (you’ll probably read this all on my blog later)
    Good luck!

7. luna on June 24, 2008 at 5:05 pm

oh I’ve gained so much weight since all my cycling in the past year. a couple of sizes, scary. I won’t even get on a scale. in fact it’s the one thing I wanted to lie about on the adoption applic. (did I just say that out loud? sorry.) if I get ambitious I’ll check out your site and sign up. I already know my weaknesses, and I have a serious aversion to most forms of exercise, so that’s my problem right there…
    oh yeah, I’ve thought of that fat vs. stupid line several times. handy, and true.

8. Io on June 24, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Ok I’m signed up. Now I need to jump up off the couch!
    I so want the Wii Fit.

9. Becky on June 24, 2008 at 6:44 pm

*sighs*
    Weight loss.
    I get really fat with my pregnancies (eating or barfing, doesn’t matter) so if this works out (crosses fingies) I will be having a butt-load of weight to lose.
    *sighs*
    I’ll join you on a diet in February.

10. Carrie27 on June 24, 2008 at 8:04 pm

I, too, would have gained weight with all of the drugs you were on as well as the emotional rollercoaster you were on.
    I know you will lose it, and look smokin in August, as I’ll be looking like a whale.

11. sara on June 24, 2008 at 10:44 pm

I gained 10lbs with just one cycle, let alone if I had done more than one IVF or injectable cycle back to back. But wanted to wish you the best of luck on your plan and the Spark People thing sounds cool. I’ll have to remember that once little Spot is here and I’m trying to get back. I would eat cake every day though if my husband could bake, I would be in big trouble šŸ™‚

12. Ms. J on June 24, 2008 at 11:21 pm

My BFF joined SparkPeople recently and really likes it. I joined Weight Watchers back in August 1999 and wound up losing 70 pounds. Have kept off 65 of them.
    Been thinking about you, Sweetie. I am sorry Life has been a bit of a rough go lately.

13. Kim on June 25, 2008 at 12:02 am

I have PCOS and IR too and those cycles do a number on my scale too! (lol) I have lost about 20 on WW but still have about 30 to go!

14. SAHW on June 25, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Looks like an awesome resource, thank you for sharing! I really need a way to hold myself accountable, b/c I’m slipping up too much, in ways that I know I can prevent. I’ll be joining after we get back from vacation – I’m not even thinking about holding myself back while there. šŸ™‚

15. Kari on June 25, 2008 at 11:16 pm

right there with ya girlfriend!! mock cycle in feb, first failed cycle in march/april, right into round 2 in may/june and I have put on a total of 30 lbs. and actually got the maternity clothes out, yes you heard me I just took off a pair of oh so much more comfortable stretchy prego shorts, lol. Sad, I know. I have got to start something before we start again, ugh!!!
    Lets all bow our heads and pray for a miracle!