I'm bored

Boredom during the summer is a huge accomplishment for me. Usually I spend summers at the school or the Board of Ed up to my ears in doing curriculum-related work for the school system. Thankfully, there was no work to do on the English/Language Arts (ELA) curriculum guide this year and there weren’t any trainings to attend. Now that I’m on the downside to summer break, I need to start the busywork of adjusting my Literature units to incorporate the Language Arts standards. For the past five years, Literature and Grammar were taught as two separate subjects by two different teachers. Next year, the two subjects will be reincorporated into one ELA class. Being that I taught Literature, I have to expand my units to include the Grammar standards. Prime procrastinator that I am, that can wait. In the meantime, I am enjoying a comfortable level of boredom that has thankfully slowed down the passing of the days. Summers usually whiz by way too fast for me.

That said, now that I’m in a holding phase before determining my next move, I find that I’m having a bit of difficulty figuring out what to write about. I’ve hit a bit of a writer’s block. Of course, I feel like I could write extensively about a lot of things, but I’m not sure how many readers want to hear about things like Miss Kaelyn’s terrible, horrible, no good, very bad (but oh so cute) terrible twoness or the ever-increasing gap to tooth ratio in Jaiden’s*** mouth.

Once I know which direction I’m heading in, I know I’ll have tons to write about. I have a couple of weeks before I get there, though. I feel like I want to write, but I just don’t know what to write about. Has that happened to anyone else before? I’d really not write about senseless blather (like I’m doing right now), so I beseech you, Dear Reader – give me something to write about. I’m opening myself up to answer whatever question you drop on me, from the serious to absolutely inane. Do you have any general questions about the surrogacy process or about my personal surrogacy experiences? Have any questions about el Cinco de Mio or Frank the Fantastic Fartknocker?  Questions about my subfertile history? Want to know if I prefer vanilla over chocolate or what my favorite Steely Dan song is or why? Ask and I’ll answer. I do realize that I’m leaving myself open to look like a complete jack ass, like an unfunny comedian who is met with the sound of chirping crickets instead of applause on open mic night.

***He just told me he was a professional genius because he knows that EVOO stands for extra virgin olive oil. Then he asked me what a virgin is. I might be a smidge bored in the writing department, but there’s never a dull moment around here.

1. Becky on June 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I’ve been feeling the same way. I’m not overly funny right now b/c I’m having a terribly difficult time with all of this. And I worry that if I don’t write something good, I will lose readers.
    It’s hard.

2. Io on June 30, 2008 at 5:47 pm

Oh grammar. How I hated teaching grammar.
    I want to know how you answered the virgin question…

3. Erin on June 30, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I want to know about your neighborhood…I’ve got this thing for neighborhoods, especially since I know we’ll be seeking a new one in the next year or so when Charlie finally graduates and is off to post doctoral work. I know you’ve talked about moving before, so wondering what would be in your desired neighborhood and what you’d hate to leave. Maybe your kids could take me on a tour?
    Fertility, infertility, bah.

4. Ms. J on June 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm

I understand about what you mean about not having much too say . . . I would get into those stages and feel like I was letting any possible blog-readers down, LOL. Since I have two blogs, I find that I go through phases where I have lots to say on one, and little on the other. Right now I am in a phase where all day I think of things I want to write about our adoption, but then I get home and after spending too much time on the ‘puter all day I am out of writing gas by nighttime.
    Hee hee — we can’t win, eh?!
    You can always do quick entries about current events, ridiculous stuff, even shout out to other people’s blogs that may need some extra support. Just a thought :o)

5. bleu on June 30, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Laughing imagining you lovin steely dan

6. sara on July 1, 2008 at 8:08 am

You always have cool things that you write about – how about vacations, stuff that happened to you growing up (favorite memories), how people are matched in the surrogacy process, your place you’d most like to visit, heck…I just like reading even if you talk about mold growing..yes mold there’s a topic, LOL!

7. Kathy on July 1, 2008 at 11:26 am

I know what you mean…
    For the first time in a long time I am not in the midst of an A.R.T. cycle, I am no longer pregnant or trying to get pregnant and I am feeling pretty good physically and emotionally. So at the moment, selfishly, I don’t feel the “need” to blog.
    However, the timing seems to be good in that I am taking Mel’s challenge to “listen more” and am trying to explore other people’s blogs more often and comment on their’s, something I have only done in a limited way in the past.
    Anyway, questions for you…
    What is your favorite book and why?
    What is your favorite movie and why?
    What is your favorite song and why?
    Earliest childhood memory or memories? Why do you think you remember those in particular?
    That’s all I have got for now.

8. Kenya on July 1, 2008 at 11:31 am

Give us another story. You’re always so entertaining miss.

9. chicklet on July 1, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I think you have a good take on life, so write about anything – even if it’s not infertility-related. Write about strangers you see or this neighbour that does crazy things. Write about the funny things your kids say cuz they’re kids and they’re funny little creatures. Write about something that makes you uniquely you. Anything, everything:-)

10. Nic on July 1, 2008 at 5:20 pm

I would love to hear about your subfertility…people have been through so many wandering journeys on this loooong road, I always find it interesting to hear what other people have experienced. Thanks for inviting questions!

11. luna on July 2, 2008 at 2:07 am

that’s because J watches rachael ray (evoo)!

12. niobe on July 2, 2008 at 10:41 am

Not sure if anyone else has asked for this, but I love hearing about people’s childhoods. I’m sure yours would be especially interesting and full of great stories.
    Also, I’m kinda obsessed with people’s houses and furniture and decorating and remodelling ideas/plans.