Of all the people…

To fill in some of the gaps, Ann’s loss was about nine years ago. When she came home a couple of days later, her feral women-folks refused to let us see or speak to her. She needs her rest. Whatever, bitch. I never heard another word about Ann’s loss. I don’t think she had the strength to fight her family or if she even wanted to. Apparently, the decision was made that Ann would return home to Louisiana. We didn’t know of her departure until a few days after she was gone, which was somewhere in the second or third week post-delivery.

A few years ago, I was startled to find Ann passing my bags to me at the drive-thru. Not wanting to hold up lunch-rush traffic, I had just enough time to learn that she had moved back here earlier the same year and was one of the restaurant’s managers. We exchanged simultaneous good-to-see-yous!, and that was that.

Today, just as I was handed my nuggets and fries I heard someone from behind me say, “Moxie! I haven’t seen you in forever!” Given last night’s post, I came that close to exclaiming, “Holy shit!” when I turned to see that it was Ann. From behind her peeked a thigh-high braided moppet who danced from foot to foot and tugged on Ann’s shirt, inquiring when, just when, was she going to get her cheeseburger with no pickles.

“Because they’re green and look like big boogers,” the little one squeaked.

“She’s three,” Ann said with an amused air. “And her brother – he’s at home – is almost six.”

This time, we exchanged phone numbers and made preliminary playdate plans.

1. bleu on July 18, 2008 at 12:12 am

That is so awesome to have that come about, the universe was preparing you for this meeting and it happened so magically.
    I am also so glad to hear she has kids.

2. luna on July 18, 2008 at 2:11 am

how bizarre and wonderful at the same time.

3. Kristen on July 18, 2008 at 2:22 am

I am so glad to hear that she had children. I was appalled by the reaction from her family about the loss of the baby! That’s amazing that you saw her again!

4. tash on July 18, 2008 at 8:35 am

I hope she’s keeping those children far from the tentacles of the aforementioned woman-folk. And I’m glad she seems well, and even more glad that you’re in her life again.

5. Jennifer on July 18, 2008 at 9:28 am

I got chills reading this. It almost brought tears to my eyes. I too read lost baby blogs. A very close friend of mine delivered and lost twins at 23 weeks. I think it’s my way of trying to get myself as close to her sitauation as possible to help her through this.

6. JuliaKB on July 18, 2008 at 9:54 am

I need to learn to comment before Tash, cause, as usual, she just went and said everything I was going to say.

7. Jessica on July 18, 2008 at 10:47 am

How amazing is that?! I’m glad that she now has children.

8. Ashley L. on July 18, 2008 at 11:53 am

Wow! Wow! That timing of that! You couldn’t have planned that any better if you were trying. I am very happy to see this and glad that the two of you will be able to reconnect. It sounds as though she needs a lot of non-aggressive females in her life (I loved the term “feral”)!

9. SAHW on July 18, 2008 at 11:58 am

Wow, how awesome!!! I’m so glad you found each other again and that she ended up having more kids…what a great happy ending!

10. Shanez Slade on July 18, 2008 at 12:55 pm

It’s amazing how we can attract people to us. I am so glad to hear the she has two little ones and hopefully her “kin” folk are a long way away from her.