Womb Raider

Womb raider
Jennifer Garner is pregnant again. Yay for her. I like her. She’s cute and she staunchly adopted Juno’s baby as a single mother.

Not that you missed the big jaw-dropper of this cover, but if you did let me repeat it here for you:

IT WAS IN VITRO! – Knox & Vivienne – The untold story behind Angelina and Brad’s twins

We should be cheering, right? She didn’t pull a JLo and give us starry-eyed BS that smelled suspiciously of the The Secret.

No! Angelina rode in on her shining Us Weekly chariot and in ALL CAPS proclaimed that IT WAS IN VITRO!  Yes! Score another one for the IF team! Another public figure is helping to shed the undeserved stigma of infertility! Yes!

No. Copied from an article preview on the Us Weekly website:

The actress chose the procedure (which can cost around $12,000 a pop)
so “she wouldn’t have to deal with the stress of trying to get
pregnant,” the source tells Us. “She could just knock it out.

Indeed, Jolie has spoken about her goal to do just that.

“If we’re going to have 10 kids, we’d like to raise them while we’re young,” she told Elle U.K. last year.

To be fair, these are the words of an unknown source and not Angelina herself. Still, this poor choice of words minimalizes the causes, the struggles, and the heartaches that bring most people to IVF. It also delivers the notion that once the stick shows two pinks, there is nothing left to worry about and you’re automatically that much closer to building your personal ten-kid United Colors of Benetton advertisement.

Before I whip out the full arsenal of my shamelessly judgmental opinions, I’d like to give Brangelina the benefit of the doubt and read the entire article. Still, my hopes aren’t set too high and I think I might cringe my way through the entire piece.

1. SAHW on July 24, 2008 at 10:10 pm

I really hope that’s not the truth…how sad to reduce IVF to that – a choice for convenience sake…but I guess I should wait till I read in full before passing any judgments either.

2. Arian on July 24, 2008 at 11:12 pm

I heard this on television today and it made me feel physically ill. It makes me feel minimalized. It is supposed to be that easy huh? Just win the lottery and you will have a kid… I truly hope that she personally addresses this soon. Wow…If I had a million dollars I could have skipped all 67 months of this crap huh?

3. TheyCallMeBobby on July 24, 2008 at 11:40 pm

Some people have it all – money, beautiful body, full lips, fame, Brad Pitt in the sack and the ability to “not have to deal with” all the stuff with getting pregnant. Is it ok if I hate her?

4. Angry IF on July 25, 2008 at 12:03 am

Yeah, I just posted about that.

5. JuliaKB on July 25, 2008 at 12:50 am

I thought better of her. I am still trying to. So I hope they speak up, and fast.

6. PJ on July 25, 2008 at 9:21 am

I knew it! I knew it! I just knew it!
    My husband and I had this conversation last week. Of couse, now that I know so much about ART treatments, whenever I hear “twins” I automatically wonder. But still…
    We actually googled their ages, because we debated about how old they were. Did you know she’s only 32? I thought she was much older. And ole’ Brad is 45, which is hard to believe.
    Anyway, betcha they (maybe he?) did have an IF issue, and are just saying that to preserve their image. Just betcha!!

7. sara on July 25, 2008 at 10:02 am

Hmmmm- gggrrrr! I’m happy they admitted it was IVF. But I’m sad for all the reasons you mentioned. It is not so cut and dry like they make it seem. That’s a bit frustrating and hard for me to stomach.

8. Shelli on July 25, 2008 at 10:38 am

Yes, I anticipate a lot of cringing when I get around to reading that article.
    It drives me crazy how the news media has made this seem like such an easy-peasy thing though. Like IVF and any infertility treatment is a walk in the park and guarantees multiples. Just sad really.

9. stephanie on July 25, 2008 at 11:16 am

I too have wondered, what the chances are she’d have twins. Apparently less than 2% for her age, so the IVF thing looks plausable.
    I have mixed feelings. Good for them that they can do what they want/need to grow their family, but I hope they say something positive about the process.
    Maybe acknowledge the difficulties some face when trying to conceive, not minimize IVF as an easy fix.
    BTW, the idea that Brad has some IF problems is interesting, it would be great if they could admit to actual IF if that’s the case. I know…a pipe dream 😉

10. Trace on July 25, 2008 at 3:23 pm

I don’t understand *why* you would want to put your body through the physical stress of IVF?

11. Betty M on July 25, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Can this really be true? How could a dr advise someone to go through an invasive procedure which was not medically necessary just cos she fancied twins or a july baby?