Just heard on "Fairly Oddparents":

Fairly Oddparents “Let’s use the good toilet seats so the meal is special from where it starts to where it ends!”

Clearly I have little else to do other than clap my hands like the village idiot and laugh at the jokes that go over most kids’ heads.

I miss the cartoons from my childhood. Saturday mornings with the Smurfs and the Snorks. Learning how to kick butt from She-Ra. Rocking out after school with Jem as she outsmarted the badass Misfits. Am I the only one who remembers Dangermouse from Nickelodeon? Wherefore are thou, Beavis and Butthead?

What were some of your favorite cartoons, both old and new?

1. Kate on July 25, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Superfriends!! Danged if I didn’t think I’d have a job in the Hall of Justice someday.

2. Kristine on July 25, 2008 at 9:30 pm

I have never really enjoyed cartoons, even as a kid. What does that say about me?
    Just another reason I need therapy I guess…
    ICLW

3. Jen on July 25, 2008 at 9:33 pm

YES! Dangermous! Gem! She-Ra! Popples! Snorks! Smurfs! Strawberry Shortcake!
    I’m so glad I was a child of the 80’s.

4. Moxie on July 25, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Ooh yeah, the Popples! I had two Popples – a yellow and pink one named Potato Chip and a purple and pink one named Cotton Candy.

5. sara on July 26, 2008 at 12:32 am

They just don’t make them like they used to. I was a HUGE fan of the smurfs, and also liked scooby doo, flintstones, jem, and anything looney tunes 🙂

6. chrissy on July 26, 2008 at 12:53 am

Oh I loved the smurfs and the jetsons!

7. Katie on July 26, 2008 at 7:25 am

Via ICLW…
    Childrens cartoons now are rubbish in comparison with what I used to watch. We had some great ones in the UK, one called Captain Bucky O’Hare springs to mind!

8. Jessica on July 26, 2008 at 8:55 am

I definitely miss the 80’s cartoons: They were the best. I remember when they started having all of these really weird cartoons, and got rid of my favorites: All of the ones you mentioned, My little Pony, Gummi Bears, Tale Spin, Rescue Rangers, The Get-A-Long Gang, Pound Puppies, Rainbow Brite.
    We actually have a couple of them on DVD. I miss the good cartoons….
    ICLW

9. JuliaKB on July 26, 2008 at 11:58 am

Just saw this the other day for the first time, and didn’t like the way the episode ended– with the dad sticking the kid over the fence into the neighbor’s face like a trophy. To make the point of “you have nice stuff, but we have a kid instead, so we win.” And the neighbors weren’t even playing, as far as I could discern just from that episode. Holy IF triggers, batman.
    Anyway, the cartoons of my youth rocked hardcore. But they did that in the Old Country language. Thanks to the wonders of intertents and downloads, though, and a dad who himself can’t get enough cartoons and is a bit crazy about his granddaughter, my daughter gets to enjoy all of my favorites and more. Hence, we are also oblivious to many cartoon series currently running. Methinks we win.

10. Moxie on July 26, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Yikes, Julia! I didn’t even watch that entire episode, or else I likely would have caught that ending and snarked on it. Frank was in the kitchen cooking, I was tinkering around on my blog, and the kids were watching the cartoon. I didn’t even catch the line the first time through. Frank cracked up laughing, and when I asked him what the heck was so funny, he rewound the DVR so that I could hear it for myself. I’m glad I missed it.

11. Shea on July 26, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Didn’t love cartoons either but the Smurfs were pretty good.

12. Martha on July 27, 2008 at 11:05 am

Hi, Moxie, I’m really aging myself here, but my favorite cartoons from my misguided youth:
    Johnny Quest, Josie and The Pussycats, Scooby Do, Rocky and Bullwinkle (child of the 60s and 70s, talking Old School)
    Best to you and the family, thanks as always for stopping by my blog.