Frank's Friday Fixin's – don't hate, integrate

Black and White pound cake: Who doesn’t like a little chocolate with their vanilla?

1 lb. butter (2 cups)
3 1/2 c. sugar
10 eggs
4 c. sifted flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. instant coffee (dry)
3/4 Hershey’s chocolate flavored syrup

Adjust
rack one third up from bottom of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 10 x 4 inch tube pan, line the bottom with paper, butter the
paper and dust it all lightly with fine, dry bread crumbs. Or use a non
stick 10 inch tube pan, in which case either line the bottom with
baking (parchment) paper, or butter the bottom, line with wax paper and
butter the wax paper.

In a large bowl of electric mixer, cream the
butter. Beat in vanilla and gradually add the sugar. Beat on moderate
speed for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula as
necessary. Add eggs, two at a time, beating after each addition until
thoroughly incorporated. On lowest speed, very gradually add the flour,
continuing to scrape the bowl with the rubber spatula and beating only
until the flour is incorporated.

Remove half (about 5 cups) of the
batter and set aside. Mix the almond extract into the remainder and
turn it into the prepared pan. Level the top by rotating pan briskly
back and forth.

Return the other half of the batter to the mixer bowl
and add the baking soda, instant coffee and chocolate syrup. Beat on
low speed, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only
until smooth.

Pour evenly over top of white batter, level by rotating
pan briskly back and forth.

Cover the top of the pan with a piece of
aluminum foil large enough to turn down loosely around the sides of the
pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Open oven door just enough to reach in and
remove the foil. Continue baking for an additional 1 hour and 20
minutes. (But check after 1 hour 10 minutes).

Total baking time will be
an hour and 40 or 50 minutes. Cake is done when cake tester comes out
dry. Remove from oven. Cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan,
cool completely on rack. Makes 1 (10 inch) cake.

1. Nikki on August 1, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Moxie, thanks for visiting my blog, and for your thoughts for Angela too. I am going to try this recipe soon – sounds yum! And the smell of a cake in the oven can take away the worst of blues, can’t it?

2. Shanez on August 2, 2008 at 11:09 am

Yummy Yummy! I think this is a great cake to make since you had the race card pulled this week. Shame on them. Race should never matter. It still dumbfounds me that people actually look at that. Just remember that this world is getting better day by day and for everyone of those idiots there are many more open minded people out there. Wonder what they would think of my family heck my brother and I are a little of everything from Malaysian to English, my husband is Black and American indian, my sil is a blonde, our family portraits looks like an add for the united colors of benneton. I wouldn’t have it any other way!!

3. Jen on August 2, 2008 at 3:54 pm

Holyyy crappp. I need more butter and some instant coffee.

4. Bec on August 2, 2008 at 4:43 pm

What on God’s green earth is a ‘tube pan’? And this is coming from the mother of two young boys who (just today) thought the name of the paint we were buying was “Bitch Boy” and not Dutch Boy. I don’t know where they get this stuff!
    Love you!

5. wishing4one on August 3, 2008 at 5:22 am

OMG this is a MUST make! I love Bec’s comment, I wonder too where DO they get this stuff? xoxoxoxoxo

6. Fiddle1 on August 3, 2008 at 7:00 am

This is a definite tryer! I am no baker, but I think I can do this one, for sure. Hopefully will impress my MIL with this one! That’s hard to do when she has a ph.D. in home economics. Oh, the pressure…. Thanks to Frank (and Miss Moxie)!

7. susan on August 3, 2008 at 11:43 am

Oh YEAH!!!!! I like a little chocolate in MY vanilla. I definitely have to make this one this week. I lost my favorite pound cake recipe years ago and I think this one is pretty close to it.

8. Pam on May 5, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Hi Moxie,
    I was planning on making this for a party and just was reading through the ingredients and method and I think Frank is holding out….he’s got almond extract in the batter with the coffee and chocolate but hasn’t listed it in the ingredients. And he says 3/4 hershey chocolate syrup….3/4 what? cup? bottle? So, help me out here. 🙂 I’m baking for my nephew’s bar mitzvah in 10 days and this seemed like a great addition for the dessert table.
    Thanks