Who's house?

Ever seen Krush Groove? No? If you haven't, You Be Illin'! It's Tricky, but he showed me how to Walk This Way in My Adidas when I was just a kid in the '80's. Now he's a reverend and he professes how he's Down with the King, but not in a somnombulistic, harps and herald kind of way. He's all, "Can You Rock It Like This?" and I'm like, "I can rock it like thaaaat."

Rev Run, peeps. I totally want him for my dad. Run's House is probably the one show I still watch on MTV. I cried both when they lost their daughter shortly after she was born and later when they adopted their newest baby girl, Miley. The way Run pulled his family together through their loss was nothing short of breathtaking, and the love that carries their family is clearly evident. What I like most about Run is that though they have money, the money doesn't have them. He's funny, openly admits to his children when he could have handled things differently and apologizes, is supportive while encouraging independence, and keeps them grounded in a moral, not financial foundation.

Besides, the man is responsible for these throwback lyrics:

One day when I was chillin' in Kentucky Fried Chicken
Just mindin' my business, eatin' food and finger lickin'
This dude walked in lookin' strange and kind of funny
Went up to the front with a menu and his money
He didn't walk straight, kind of side to side
He asked this old lady, "Yo, yo, um…is this Kentucky Fried?"
The lady said "Yeah", smiled and he smiled back
He gave a quarter and his order, small fries, Big Mac!
You be illin'!

How could I not love him? It's like that, and that's the way it iiiiis – HUH!

1. MomMega on August 6, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Seriously, this is the funniest show on MTV. I just love the way that he interacts with his children and I love how much they respect him.

2. bri on August 7, 2008 at 1:13 am

He apparently just wrote a parenting book. The ghost writer is the husband of a woman in my moms’ group!

3. Moxie on August 7, 2008 at 6:29 am

He and Justine wrote it together. I can’t wait to read it.

4. Jennifer on August 7, 2008 at 9:52 am

My DH and I love this show! They are amazing parents and have a great family. I wish I could just hang out with him for a day!

5. Carrie on August 7, 2008 at 10:09 am

I, too, love Rev Run. I love how they have family meetings to discuss any and every thing.

6. Shea on August 7, 2008 at 4:18 pm

I sit down and watch this everytime I run across it on tv! Love them!

7. Io on August 7, 2008 at 5:41 pm

You’re cracking me up lady. And I didn’t even know Rev. Ru had a show…

8. Io on August 7, 2008 at 5:42 pm

You’re cracking me up lady. And I didn’t even know Rev. Run had a show…I’ll have to check it out. Is it possible I don’t watch enough tv?

9. debbie on August 7, 2008 at 7:19 pm

Moxie,
    Thanks so much for this post, I had no idea Rev. Run adopted (or that he was also adopted)! Being in the throws of this somewhat ridiculous adoption process myself, it really helps to read stories like his. Thanks for the encouragement, even if it was a completely unintended consequence.
    Good luck with your school year!
    Debbie

10. Holly on August 7, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Hi,
    Thanks for your comment on my blog today. I wanted to answer you question about the ear zapper. It’s an alpha stim and you read about it here http://www.alpha-stim.com/SCS.html.

11. Ally on August 7, 2008 at 11:32 pm

I love that show, too. He’s done such an amazing job of raising wonderful, normal kids, in spite of the horror stories you hear and see coming out from the children of famous parents. He and his wife are to be commended.