Changes

"What are you going to order, Moxie?" Frank asked as we pored over the take-out menu.

"Uuummm…I think I'm going to have a pastrami on rye with extra provolone. Regular mustard, not spicy. And no tomatoes."

"That's what you always get."

"Yeah, so?"

"You always look at the menu and it takes you ten minutes to figure out what you want, then you end up ordering the same thing each time. I'm just sayin'."

"And you don't? You do the same thing. You always order The Animal. Extra mayo, no onions. If you're really feeling frisky you add jalapeños."

"Oh, really? Well, I'll have you know that tonight I'm going to have a meatball sub for a change."

"Mmmm…round, hot, steamy, meaty balls," I seductively purred in a deep timbre.

I was met with a blank stare. Then: "I'll stick with The Animal with extra mayo and no onions."

"That's what I thought," I smirked.

1. Nikki on August 8, 2008 at 8:52 pm

One of my school teachers had once said – HABIT never goes away. You take away the H, A Bit remains. You take away the A, Bit remains, you take away the B, IT still remains!
    So you run around the block and come back to your same sandwiches – that’s life 🙂
    (I never asked that teacher what happens when you take that last “I” away – T remains?)

2. sarah on August 8, 2008 at 8:59 pm

I can SO picture the entire conversation going on. 🙂

3. anymommy on August 8, 2008 at 11:38 pm

I do exactly the same thing. And, if I do order something new and exciting, I never like it!

4. MomMega on August 8, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Ha ha! You guys are fuuuuny!
    Oddly enough, the hubs and I did almost the same thing tonight! We looked at the Chinese take out menu and then ordered the exact same thing we always do. Oh well!

5. Amanda on August 9, 2008 at 4:09 am

LOL. That’ll teach him to be adventurous.

6. Angry IF on August 9, 2008 at 10:24 am

Ha. I always try to get something different. My husband always gets the same thing. I’m vegetarian tho, so I get to experiment.

7. Danielle on August 9, 2008 at 2:51 pm

*new to your blog* I LOVE that you 2 had this conversation, yet ended up ordering the same thing! that’s great! Have a great weekend!
    -D

8. Cindy on August 10, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Ohhh…I do the SAME thing. I have to examine my options, but still prefer the same old same old.
    Hmmmm…but I also don’t think I’ll ever be able to eat a meatball sub again without imagining you saying THAT. 🙂

9. sara on August 11, 2008 at 12:54 am

I love the familiarity of knowing what my husband will order, and the fact that he knows just how I like my food at about 20 different restaurants. I love the recall of your conversation with your husband – I can picture it happening 🙂 Hope you had a great weekend!

10. Alicia on August 12, 2008 at 2:41 pm