It's quiet

Last night, my mom kidnapped el Cinco for a weekend of frolicking at an amusement park, leaving Frank and me behind for a couple days' worth of quiet and relaxation.

Quiet.

I slept until 9 and awoke from the sunlight streaming through the blinds instead of the 6:15 alarm, or from Kaelyn banging on the door asking for Apple Jacks. I was able to sleep until my body got all the rest it needed because it's

quiet.

It's almost 11:30 and I'm just now eating breakfast. It's lunchtime, and no one is jumping around asking for peanut butter and jelly or ham and cheese sandwiches and can we have pickles and chips, too, please? There are no impatient tummies to answer to, because it's

quiet.

I'm lounging on the couch watching Ghost instead of The Backyardigans and reading blogs instead of Skippyjon Jones and Mummy Trouble (for the zillionth time). No need to assume my best Spanish accent and become el Skippito in the Under Mundo, dude. I don't hear read it again, just one more time! because it's

quiet.

I look around and see unfinished kid business everywhere, like a giggle cut short – the open English workbook with pencil on the rug, the shoes under the kitchen table, the trail of crayons from here to the playroom, Skippyjon Jones and others haphazardly piled on the couch next to a Spiderman blanket.

It's too quiet in here.

I miss my little ones.

1. luna on September 27, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I love skippyjon jones! I’ve only read the first one though, or I should say it was read to me by a mother reading to her 3 year old in her best spanish accent. she’s had every night to practice,,,,

2. Danielle on September 27, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Ahhh yes the “quiet”. It’s such a beautiful thing….for the first 3 hours or so. Then, it becomes unnerving and you long for the chaos of everyday life. I’m glad you got to sleep in *my favorite hobby* and spend some time with Frank. Enjoy your day!
    -D *ICLW*

3. My Reality on September 27, 2008 at 4:39 pm

I hope you enjoy your quiet time before the kids return home. Once the crazieness of all 5 being home is back in full force, you will be missing the quiet!

4. Carrie on September 27, 2008 at 5:06 pm

I could gladly bring you over some fussy butts if you want, and I guarantee you it won’t be quiet there for long. LOL!

5. Melody on September 27, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Your mother wins grandma of the year– 5 kids at once on her own at an amusement park. You are a lucky woman. Enjoy your time off!

6. Io on September 27, 2008 at 10:41 pm

I hope you get some good quiet to go with the missing.

7. Martha on September 27, 2008 at 11:04 pm

It seems like we most appreciate it the little ones when they are not with us. Thank you for capturing this mood so beautifully. Thank you also for your comment on my blog.

8. Shanez Slade on September 27, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Isn’t it funny……I too miss the chaos that is my heartbeat when the two little farts are away. I savor the peacefulness but long for the noise. THe laughs, the wrestling, the “moms”……**sigh** Whats a Mom to do?

9. susan on September 27, 2008 at 11:45 pm

Awwww. It must be like parts of you are missing … feels good, but not complete? I can’t wait to have that. you are very blessed.

10. Insta-Mom on September 27, 2008 at 11:51 pm

My mom does that occasionally and I always miss them so much more than I think I will.

11. tash on September 28, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Funny how much we crave the silence and then find ourselves looking forward to the hug at the end. (Although sometimes that hug is quickly followed by whining, and then I wonder what in fact I was doing not enjoying my silence.)
    We’re also big fans of Skippito.

12. sara on September 28, 2008 at 7:44 pm

I’m glad you got to sleep in and enjoy the quiet. I hope you are feeling better!

13. Miss W on September 29, 2008 at 11:26 am

Ahh…Skippito…is he better than the frijoles? Si! Mucho mejor, senor!
    Glad you got some quiet 🙂 I can only imagine how very quiet it must be when 5 rugrats leave for the weekend!

14. Alicia on September 29, 2008 at 2:21 pm

awe so cute! I am sure you did enjoy some of the quiet though! haha

15. Aunt Becky on September 29, 2008 at 3:59 pm

*sighs*
    I need a weekend off. I imagine I’d last about 4-6 hours before I picked one of them up, tho.

16. anymommy on September 29, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Lol. Exactly! Glad you got a day off.