the gross, the good, and everything in between

1. On Saturday morning, I absentmindedly ate through half a bowl of cereal before I noticed it was sprinkled with a dash of ants. I'm scarred for life.
  2. What the hell is it with this PMS thing, anyway? I'm regulated now on BCPs (YAY!), which may as well be an abbreviation for Body Crippling Pains (BOO!). I've been popping Motrin like they were Tic-Tacs.
  3. Is anyone watching Heroes? Suresh is grossing me out. Hiro is cracking me up.
  4. Chance's project is this close to being finished. Keep an eye out on her blog over the next couple of days and I'll give a heads up over here, too.
  5. Kaelyn is the new Obama Girl. This evening she ran around the house with the Guitar Hero guitar rocking out to a song she made up which goes something like this:

Barack Obamaaaaa! Obamaaaaaa! Boooomerang Obama!
    I play my guitaaaaaar! With Barack Obamaaaa! Chicken!
    I'm going to eat chicken with Barack Obamaaaa! I like chickeeeen!
    And Apple Dippers with my chicken nuggets!
    Barack Obamaaaa! I'm voting for Barack Obamaaaaa!
    And I'm a pink princess with a clown and I love Barack Obamaaaaa!

I love how her mind works. In her own sing-songy way, she's basically retelling the past couple of weeks of her life. My mom took the kids to an amusement park, where the the braver and older ones rode a roller coaster called the Boomerang. We had chicken for dinner yesterday. She ate chicken nuggets and Apple Dippers when we went to Mickey D's last weekend. She also picked out a pink princess costume for Halloween. It came with a sparkly, iridescent pink crown, which with her three-weeks-past-three-year-old diction she pronounces as clown. And of course, she has some sort of obsession with Barack Obama. Which is kinda cute. I think she's forever marked as an uber-nerd because her first crush is on Barack Obama.

6. Frank wants to bake cookies, but he doesn't want to just bake any cookies, he wants to bake your cookies. That sounds kinda nasty, doesn't it? Like some sort of pick up line a grubby perv would use – Oooh, baby, lemme bake your cookies. Seriously – he'd like some tried and true other-people's-favorite-cookie recipes. If you got 'em, leave 'em. Greatly appreciated. By both of us, because I get to eat them. I'll share with you.
  7. If you don't have a cookie recipe to leave, let me know what the grossest thing you've ever eaten is. This should make for an interesting appetizing/unappetizing blend of comments.

1. Bleu on October 20, 2008 at 10:51 pm

In college I came downstairs at my apt. one night, no contacts in or glasses on, and grabbed a piece of pizza and threw it in the microwave. I then took it out and began eating it. I saw I had sprinkled it with red pepper flakes but didn’t taste them, then I got a shudder and leaned in for a good look. It was absolutely covered with ants. The only saving grace is the microwave had killed them.

2. anymommy on October 20, 2008 at 11:29 pm

I’ve eaten ants in my cereal too!! But, the grossest thing I’ve eaten (actually imbibed) is fermented, unpasteurized horse mare’s milk. A delicacy offered to guests in Mongolia. DISGUSTING.
    Here’s a really, really simple one. Make the chocolate chip cookie recipe just like on the back of the Nestle chips package, but for the white sugar, substitute vanilla instant pudding mix. I think it calls for 3/4 of a cup, so what you do is take the 3/4 cup measuring cup, pour in the jello pudding mix than fill it the rest of the way with white sugar. The softest, yummiest chocolate chip cookies EVER.

3. chicklet on October 21, 2008 at 1:02 am

Frank can bake my cookies anytime, prrrrr;-)
    Just kidding. I dont’ have any cookie recipes I love but “bake my cookies” was too fun to resist!

4. Lexy on October 21, 2008 at 1:26 am

LOL I’ll have to get you the dark chocolate fudge cookie recipe to you tomorrow (i’m lazy and comfortable in my warm bed LOL)
    The nastiest thhing i had wasn’t eaten I drank it. Get your mind outta the gutter missy – even though it did make me barf too! Anways – My husban dip and spits it into a 20oz soda bottle and one day I was drinking pepsi and he had one that was pepsi too i guess. We were sitting on seperate couches with a table inbetween and I sat my soda next to his bottle and I guess he took mine and had a sip and at the same time I went to take a sip and it wasnt my soda is was his spit bottle. BAAARF! Nasty nasty nasty!

5. sara on October 21, 2008 at 6:46 am

I had to smile when you told me to keep my chin up. It’s the thing my OB always tells me when I’m having one of “my moments” and it always makes me feel better. So thanks – you made me feel better too! Ditto on watching Heros, couldn’t agree more. Frank and the cookies…too funny. Poor guy isn’t a perv, but that did sound pretty funny, LOL! I don’t have the recipe on hand but I used to make these key lime cookies with white chocolate chips. Sounds weird, but they’re really good.
    Nasty as far as the ants and cereal. I think I would have barfed. Not a gross thing to eat, but the grossest way I used to eat something was when I worked midnights as a nurse in the ICU before I became a CRNA. There were never any bowls or cups in our staff lounge so I would take the small emesis (puke) basin that we give patients – you know the small banana shaped plastic type? Then I would heat up my instand oatmeal and eat it out of that. Well, I’m sure it looked like I was eating something icky out of a puke basin since I made my oatmeal a little runny. Well, you get the picture. Hope you’re doing well!

6. SCY on October 21, 2008 at 8:12 am

Well on the subject of the nastiest thing I have ever eaten…
    I ate lambs belly buttons in Egypt… before I knew what they were I thought they were DELICIOUS once I was told what they were erm, not so much…
    I have also eaten crocodile (tastes just like chicken), snake (tastes just like beef carpacio) and mopani worms – yep Moxie worms! (very very crunchy and not so nice @ all)
    I’d bet that I get the prize for the worst stuff eaten 😉

7. My Reality on October 21, 2008 at 9:40 am

I’ve got cookie recipes. Lots of them. What kinds of recipes is he looking for?

8. Jessica on October 21, 2008 at 9:48 am

I honestly can’t say I’ve eaten anything as gross as insects/bugs. I have eaten hagis though.
    Don’t have a cookie recipe handy, but do at home.
    ICLW

9. Amber on October 21, 2008 at 10:00 am

I too have poured myself a big ol’ bowl of ant cereal. Good times.
    I belong to a running club (although trust me – not a lot of running takes place) for which some of us have semi-ceremonial drinking vessels. I drink out of a Stone Cold Steve Austin-shaped water bottle. Before a weekend event I grabbed my bottle and headed on the road, never realizing that I hadn’t washed it from the last event…months ago. I drank out of that thing all weekend long, not realizing until Monday that there were some kind of eggs stuck to the inside of the arms. I was drinking maggots or something all weekend. Mmmmm. I just hope the alcohol killed anything too nasty…

10. Jendeis on October 21, 2008 at 10:02 am

Shuddering from the grossness of the ants. Yeccchhh! Ugh!
    Kaelyn is my favoritist musician of all time.
    Fave cookie recipe (never before made by me, but eaten by me many a time):
    Secret Kiss Cookies
    Ingredients:
    •1 cup butter, softened
    •1/2 cup granulated sugar
    •1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    •1 3/4 cups flour
    •1 cup finely chopped pecans
    •1 bag chocolate kiss candies, unwrapped (7 ounces)
    Preparation:
    Cream together butter, sugar, and vanilla. Blend in flour and chopped pecans. Wrap one tablespoon of dough around each chocolate candy kiss. Bake at 350° for about 15 minutes, or until dough is set but not browned.
    Makes about 2 to 3 dozen cookies.

11. Becky on October 21, 2008 at 12:35 pm

My son is totally obsessed with Obama, too! It’s adorable.

12. tash on October 21, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I’m sorry I’m so behind in my reader, I’ve been sitting on Frank’s cake recipe wanting to find time to read through it and thank him and send him virtual hugs — but now I can’t resist:
    One of our favorites are World Peace Cookies from Smitten Kitchen. (for some reason it took out my link? try this:)
    And if he’s never been there, he should poke around (heh) — her homemade oreos are also to die for. And now that I’ve looked up this recipe and have seen the pumpkin brownies on the front page? You know what I’ll be doing later . . .

13. KandiB on October 21, 2008 at 3:40 pm

Heros is messing with my mind! I’ve really got to stop bloggin while watching. It takes full attention to keep up with this story line. That puppet dude was too freaky, though. Perv.
    Here’s a link to my favorite cookie in the ENTIRE world: Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. No kidding. Do not knock it because it’s from Martha.

14. luna on October 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm

grossest thing I’ve ever probably eaten was a moldy piece of fruit I think. the taste stayed in my mouth for hours. M once ate part of a worm biting into a peach. eww.
    I’ve been craving oatmeal chocolate chip pecan brown sugar cookies. …

15. Napmom on October 22, 2008 at 9:00 am

My husband, being the creative chef that he is, once added applesauce to coleslaw, thinking that it would be delicious.

16. Kate on October 25, 2008 at 7:59 am

I once almost ate a tick. I thought I was eating a raisin. I got it *this close* to my mouth before I realized that the supposed raisin had little wriggling legs and was actually a fat, blood bloated tick. Barfbarfbarfbarfbarfretchbarfbarf. To this day I have a vicious grudge against all ticks.

17. Former IM on November 1, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Here ya go sweet cheeks!! I know it’s about 10 days later but none the less…
    I double this and make it in a 9×13 pan and use the big ol tube of chocolate chip cookie dough..
    Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
    Makes: 16 bars Nutrition Information
    The best of all possible worlds — creamy cheesecake filling on a chocolaty crust made easy with Pillsbury® cookie dough
    1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup coconut, if desired
    1 roll (18 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated chocolate chip cookies
    1. Heat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth. Stir in coconut.
    2. Break up half of cookie dough into ungreased 9- or 8-inch square pan. With floured fingers, press dough evenly in bottom of pan to form crust. Spread cream cheese mixture over dough. Crumble and sprinkle remaining half of dough over cream cheese mixture.
    3. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until chilled. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store in refrigerator.