midpoint

I am proud of our nation, but also greatly disappointed. Most Americans (whether they voted Democrat or Republican), realize that Obama's election as the first Black president speaks volumes of our country's growth in attitudes about race. However, prejudice, discrimination, and inequality are still very much alive. The target has shifted from racial discrimination to discrimination based on sexual orientation.

We seem to be at some sort of midpoint; we've grown, but need to grow.

I found a couple of things which illustrate this. The first is a blurb that KimboSue found and posted on her blog. The second is a copy and paste of a comment that my sister, a proud lesbian, left on my last post.

How far we've come:

This older white guy asked his older black friend, 'Are you voting for Barack Obama just because he's black'?

So
the older black guy fires back and says, 'Are you not voting for him
because he's black? Why can't I vote for him just cause he's black?

Hell
in this country men are pulled over everyday just cause they're black,
passed over for promotions just cause they're black, considered to be
criminals just cause they're black, but you don't seem to have a
problem with that.

This country was built with the sweat and
whip off the slaves' backs, and now a descendant of those same slaves has
a chance to lead the same country where we weren't even considered to
be people. A country where we weren't allowed to be educated, drink
from the same water fountains, eat in the same restaurants, or even
vote, so you damn right I'm going to vote for him!

But not just because he's black.

But because he is hope, he is change,
and he now allows me to understand when my grandson says he wants to be
president when he grows up, it is not a fairy tale but a short term
goal. Now he sees, understand, and knows, he can achieve, withstand,
and do anything just because he's black!

How far we have yet to go:

Hey Butthead,
I'm overjoyed and simply giddy
about PRESIDENT OBAMA! All the Black folks in Wal-mart were smiling
and cheesing all hard. But at the same time, I find myself a little
upset. Proposition 8 passed in California and Mississippi passed a law
that banned gay adoptions. Although I'm nowhere near marriage or near
adoption, it saddens me that gays and lesbians who want to get married
and have the right to be just as miserable as straight people (joke)
aren't able to do so. And it saddens me even more that so many gays and
lesbians that want to adopt aren't able to do so. It sucks……BUT WE
GOT A BLACK PRESIDENT!!!!! 🙂

:::::::::

I wasn't around for the first Civil Rights Movement. Sign me up for this one.

Flag-Rainbow1

1. Io on November 6, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Rock on my friend. I will march for this.
    It’s hard – I’m so excited about Obama, but then to see that hatred is still flourishing…

2. Kristin on November 6, 2008 at 1:49 pm

You’re preaching to the choir chica! I don’t know why people feel so damned threatened by homosexuals being able to marry or adopt. I remember seeing the magazine covers when Portia DeRossi and Ellen Degeneres married and all I could think was. “How could something that makes two people so very happy be considered wrong?”

3. Jen on November 6, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I totally agree. One step forward, one step back. *sigh*

4. Mrs. X on November 6, 2008 at 2:15 pm

I too was disappointed in California.
    I heard the story on NPR this morning about Prop. 8. I think it is going to be tough to sell to the black community the notion that this fight is akin to the civil rights movement. For a lot of people, the color of one’s skin is not a choice while sexual orientation is, which means that a lot of people will have a hard time swallowing the notion that the movement to legalize gay marriage is the civil rights movement of the 21st century.
    Personally, I think if you want to get married, have at it. Just because you are a woman and love a woman doesn’t mean that are you are less worthy of enjoying the benefits (legal and financial) of marriage as well as the stability.

5. Nikki on November 6, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I agree. I was saddened by prop 8 passing as well. I totally believe in equality for everyone. I hope that the people of the nation and the world will understand that some day soon.

6. MsPrufrock on November 6, 2008 at 5:21 pm

It's such a weird contradiction – elect a black President, ensure that a massive group of people are denied rights in the same day. Amazing, and depressing.

I will never understand how people think it's any business of theirs who does or doesn't get married. All the problems in the world, and this is what we worry about?

7. MommyLady on November 6, 2008 at 7:34 pm

I have to comment on this statement:

" For a lot of people, the color of one's skin is not a choice while sexual orientation is…"

I beg to differ… and this argument is debated over and over again. We are wired to prefer man or woman or both If I had a choice, I would enjoy the best of both worlds but being with a woman is not something I am wired to prefer.

If it were all a "choic" why would children at very young ages have mannerisms that speak volumes of being those of the opposite sex?

If it were a choice why would so many people willingly face hate, rejection at times by their own families, and discrimination for being who they are?

Some people can and do choose to deny who they are and live a life of misery.

"which means that a lot of people will have a hard time swallowing the notion that the movement to legalize gay marriage is the civil rights movement of the 21st century."

A lot of people had a hard swallowing the fact that Black men, women and children would live free from slavery.

A lot of people had a hard swallowing the fact that a woman would ever be able to vote.

A lot of people had a hard time swallowing the fact that Black children had the same rights to be educated as white children are.

A lot of people had a hard time swallowing the fact that a woman had the right to choose to give birth or not.

A lot of people had a hard time swallowing the fact that all people, regardless of race, color, or disabilities, had the same rights to be employed in ANY field they wanted to go into.

A lot of people had a real hard time swallowing the fact that a Black man could become president of the USA.

Discrimination is discrimination. Who are we to judge someone because of their sexual orientation? Who are we to deny them the ability to adopt children or to declare their love for one another through marriage?

I do think, eventually, the Gay Rights WILL become the next Civil Rights Movement. I am already waving flags.

I give my daughter rainbows with love and acceptance.

8. susan on November 6, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Hey, there! Just wanted to drop in and say I'm still alive. I still don't have time to read many blogs, but hopefully one day (before Luke turns 5) I will get back to the blog world. How did you ever survive twins? You're my hero!

9. Melody on November 7, 2008 at 10:07 am

For some reason this post made me cry, and I had to comment. I was a Hillary supporter. Barak Obama got my vote ungrudgingly, but it was more because McCain/Palin terrified me than because of any excitement I felt around him. I have been very angry with him AND McCain and the rest of Congress for that matter for selling out the country with the bank bail-out.

But I still felt a surge of pride in my chest when the numbers started rolling in for him. My heart leaped up when I saw that my state (Indiana) had gone blue for the first time in decades. I took the next day off work as a mental health day and spent some time walking alone on the streets of downtown Indianapolis. It was a gorgeous day, and people might have been smiling regardless, but what really seemed to make the air feel lighter and the sun brighter was the unself-conscious JOY on the face of every black person I encountered. It wasn't a human interest story on the news– this was REAL! These people looked like they were taking the first unencumbered steps of their lives. Everyone smiled. Everyone spoke to me. I smiled. I spoke to everyone. I shook hands with people I'd never met. It felt like the whole city was swollen with love.

As saddened as I am by the Prop 8 ruling, it still feels like the healing has begun.

10. Angry IF on November 7, 2008 at 1:12 pm

The same kids in my class that yesterday were so excited about Obama being elected, were some of the same kids today that laughed when I said gay people died in concentration camps.

We have such a long way to go

11. anymommy on November 8, 2008 at 5:19 pm

I sat on our couch and cried, holding on my own little black girl during Obama's acceptance speech. It was an amazing, historic moment, I hope no matter where your political beliefs lie. (And I can say that honestly as a girl who most often aligns Repub on fiscal issues.) And then I cried again that yet another group of human beings is the target of mass discrimination and hate. On the very same day. I don't understand it, but like you, I'd love to be a part of the movement to change it.

I've missed you! So good to catch up on all your smart, fun posts (and the serious ones).

12. WhichBox on November 8, 2008 at 7:58 pm

we've grown, but we need to grow. That'll always be true. But doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

13. Angela on November 10, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I voted no on prop 8 and was so profoundly disappointed when it passed!