Saturday cycling update

If you landed on this post by way of Googling for information about riding a non-motorized, two-wheeled contraption with pedals, gears, and a hard, narrow seat shoved up your ass, you're in the wrong place.

However, if you're here to read about hormones and ovaries and uteruses (uterii? utes? WTF is the plural of 'uterus'?), then I shall not disappoint.

Thursday morning Chance had her first blood work drawn post-start of stims. Thursday evening we recieved an email from our nurse coordinator saying that Chance's estrogen was lower than expected and that she was to bump up her Follistim from 300 units to 450 units. I was instructed to report to our local monitoring RE on Sunday for a repeat ultrasound to see if my lining has thickened (it damn well better have). Chance will also have her first follicle check on Sunday morning.

While there is no indication that this cycle is going straight to hell in gasoline-soaked drawers, we haven't had the much-desired "Everything's going perfectly!" and the congratulatory swat on the ass, either. Needless to say, we've spent the past couple of days talking each other down out of the rafters. It goes something like this – I talk Chance and Apollo down, Frank talks me down, Apollo talks Chance down, Chance and I talk each other down, we all talk each other down, and then we make plans to eat fattening comfort foods at cozy little dives in downtown Savannah. So on Sunday morning, it's the vagiwand then ice cream cones for EEEVERYONE!

Additionally, per Chance's request, Frank the Kitchen Chemist will be baking up an original cupcake recipe. Lemon glaze, mascarpone and cream cheese, and white chocolate are involved. He's calling them the Calm the Fuck Down Cupcakes. Recipe and pictures to come.

Chance's ovaries are beginning to shout at her and my lining only has to get up to at least 7-8 (I was at 6 on Tuesday). I know everything will be fine. It's just that getting from here to there is making our nerves stutter-step a bit.

At least there are cupcakes and ice cream, and that's always a good thing.

1. Trish Krumnow on January 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I’m sending good thoughts to your uterus and to Chance’s estrogen levels. Nice, “juicy”, thickening thoughts. I hope that everything goes well tomorrow!!!

2. Baby Smiling In Back Seat on January 10, 2009 at 5:29 pm

The proper Latin is uteri. Or you can go with uteruses if you don’t like the Latin. My Latin professor would have preferred uteri, but then again he was a very weird guy so I wouldn’t place too much stock in his ideas.
    Hope you both get the swat on the ass tomorrow!

3. Nikki on January 10, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Now I want an ice cream cone!
    Good luck with the cycle! Your lining is looking better, and I’m sure it will continue to plump up! Good luck to Chance with her egg farm as well!
    Can’t wait to see your updates!

4. jenn on January 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you get the ‘all’s perfect!’
    Those cupcakes sound delicious! Why won’t someone invent the pastry portal so you can essentially e-mail food?!

5. Kate on January 10, 2009 at 6:00 pm

I have heard that mascarpone and cream cheese are great for linings and estrogen levels, so I think you guys are totally on the right treatment plan. And white chocolate is just good for everything.
    Go Utes, go! We’re all pulling for you.

6. Stacie on January 10, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I laughed hard at the “Calm the Fuck Down Cupcakes”.
    Good luck!!!

7. Jen on January 10, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Oh I freaking LOVE reading your blog Moxie! You are hysterical!
    And I cant wait to hear all about those cupcakes. I expect a recipe to be posted ASAP if they come out as yummy as they sound! πŸ˜‰
    Good luck with the vagiwand! I, myself, call it the Dildo-cam. haha

8. anymommy on January 10, 2009 at 7:33 pm

My nerves are stutter stepping and I am completely superfluous to this process!!! Can’t wait to see that post on Sunday about how everything is going absolutely perfectly…

9. Amber on January 10, 2009 at 7:36 pm

My honest to god feeling about “everything is perrrfect!” cycles is that no one is paying close enough attention. I felt so much better when my protocol was tweaked mid-cyle. To me it implied that they really were tailoring it to me and my response. And I am all about custom, made-to-order treatment. So although I might be the only one, *I* am taking this as a good sign. But I’ll still take a Calm The Fuck Down Cupcake, thank you very much!

10. tash on January 10, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Frank TOTALLY needs to market Calm the Fuck Down Cupcakes. I could use a dozen right about now.
    And ditto Amber — the cycles that seem to work are the ones where you’re running late, hubby has a wicked cold and can’t breathe, the car breaks down, the pharmacy loses your meds for a day, and on. Have a cupcake. And please post before I eat too many, m’kay?

11. My Reality on January 10, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Can you save a Calm the Fuck Down cupcake for me?

12. Carrie Holmquist on January 10, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Tomorrow shall bring you both good news. I’ll be patiently waiting (yeah right) to hear the news.

13. charmedgirl on January 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm

HAHA…calm the fuck down!! (yeah, right, suuuuuuure)
    this whole process would make mother theresa and/or gandhi curse their peace-loving brains out. hey, imagine if they did IF treatments together?!? just thinking of that scenario and the utterly ridiculous specifics is making me laugh…cause you know what? this is bullshit and i think it would make ANYONE fuckin nuts. even them. so WTF?

14. M on January 11, 2009 at 12:08 am

Fuck I hate all the cycling shit – a Calm the Fuck Down Cupcake is just what’s needed. So far so good – and from a chronic under-responder I’d say that all sounds pretty peachy from here! πŸ˜‰

15. coffeegrl on January 11, 2009 at 12:29 am

Truly genius. Frank’s cupcake recipe sounds aMAzing, but since I can’t have any, I may have to invent my own Calm the Fuck Down Cupcakes. The idea is brilliant. Best of luck keeping calm!!

16. Kristin on January 11, 2009 at 8:19 am

Good luck to both of you. I love, love, love Frank’s name for the cupcakes and can’t wait for the pic and recipe.

17. jess on January 11, 2009 at 11:03 am

You’re all in my thoughts that everything goes perfectly, with the perfect end result in particular.
    Those cupcakes sound delicious!

18. Fiddle1 on January 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Um, YUM!!! Those cupcakes sound like just what you all need to get things on track to a perfect cycle. We are all holding our breath and hoping along with you, Frank, Chance and Apollo. Ask Frank if he has any tricks for finding cheap marscapone cheese, b/c it breaks my bank account (and I love desserts with it).

19. debbie on January 11, 2009 at 4:59 pm

I want some Calm the Fuck Down Cupcakes!
    Crossing fingers and toes for good reports!

20. Rayven, 2xGS on January 12, 2009 at 8:59 am

I want the recipe for those cupcakes! Could be useful to all surrogates and intended parents during cycling.
    Best wishes for your SWAT!