Yet another drive-by update

Cycle and med donations update: We are waiting to receive our calendars for our next cycle. I can't believe how much of a blur the last two weeks have been. I think I sort-of went into a type of brain-dead state when it came to the resolution of the last cycle. When our nurse coordinator called on Monday to give me the results of Sunday's beta (down to 7.1, not quite totally negative, repeat on Saturday), she asked how many days I bled. In my mind popped "five days," but when I did the math it came out to be 11 days. 11 days? What the hell did I even do on those 11 days? I hardly remember them from a uterine point of view. But yes — it was 11 days and now it is done. Chance's CD 1 was yesterday, and now our cycles might be too close together for us to use this cycle as the starting cycle. Our nurse, Cari, is going to discuss the plan with Dr. Sleepy and get back to us hopefully today, because if we use this cycle I'll have to be completely negative by tomorrow, which means I'll have to go for another beta tomorrow instead of Saturday, because Chance has to start BCPs tomorrow if we're going to use this cycle. How's that for an unnecessary run-on sentence? So, we'll see – we'll either start now or at the beginning of April.

On the meds donation front: overwhelmed with gratitude —-> Chance and me. Here's how it went down: we need at least 4500 units of Follistim. Sweet Kate had 900 units to donate, but when she went to mail it she saw that it was three months expired. Dr. Sleepy is against using meds that far gone. So sad. (But Kate, please send me your address because we're still so, so very grateful.)

Then, several people said something to the effect of "Damn! No Follistim, but I have some Gonal-F that I could send if that's what you needed." Then someone put the bug in my hear that Follistim and Gonal-F are practically identical and might be able to be used interchangeably. Too impatient to wait until Monday to get the answer from our nurse, I cross-posted my question on each of the regional SIRM message boards and all of the REs — the great and powerful Dr. Sher included — said that the two meds are identical and if we had access to "free" Gonal-F, then it made no sense to pay for Follistim. One RE even compared the two to choosing between Ghiardelli and Godiva chocolates. Hmmmmkay.

So all of THAT being said – things are looking good on the meds front because Dr. Sleepy agreed with the SIRM docs. Dr. Sleepy said that to be safe, we should have enough for 14 days of stims at 450 units per day, for a total of 6300 units. We have been blessed to be given 4500 units from one blogger (THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!), so that leaves us with 1800 units of Gonal-F still needed. If you are able to donate, please comment or email me.

From other bloggers or surrogates we're also being sent: a total of 66 Vivelle patches (out of 70 needed), a complete 2-week Lupron kit, about 50 estrace pills, and 3 vials of PIO.

It's amazing, and we are humbled. When I started this blog over a year ago, I never would have guessed that it would result in a heaven-made match with Chance and Apollo and so many hands and hearts of support lifting us up. I must stop now. I might cry. And then my students will think that I've finally gone off the deep end. But we thank you all, more than my clumsy words could ever fully express.

Sock It to Me:
Thanks to those of you who've signed up already! There are almost thirty participants thus far! If you'd like to participate and haven't signed up yet, be sure that you do so by this Friday, March 6. If you've emailed me to sign up and you haven't heard back from me yet, please either leave a comment here or try to email again. Sometimes my inbox eats emails, and I want to be doubly-sure that I don't miss anyone who wants to join in.

A couple of clarification points:

1. The exchange is open to ANYONE! I've had a couple of people tell me that they were hesitant to participate because they didn't feel "in" the community enough. ALL are invited to join in – everyone from those still in the struggle to those who moved on to other paths, to those who are now parenting after infertility. I even have a few surrogates on the list, as like me, they've placed themselves in the line of fire to help others achieve their dreams. So if you've been hesitating up to this point, hesitate no more – SIGN UP!
  2. The person you send socks will not be the person who sends socks to you. This way, instead of making one new connection, everyone will make two new connections. I think it's more fun to have it jumbled up that way.

Sock buddy information will be emailed to everyone after sign up closes and by this Sunday at the latest. I'm so excited about this!

Do you have no idea what Sock it to Me is? Click on that button over there up on the right to find out.

Georgia lawmakers are ready to lay down a heavy hand on IVF, thanks to Octomom:
I was determined not to say anything about the utter clusterfuck that is the Octomom and her nutzoid RE, but I'm being forced to do so. In a kneejerk reaction to the huge medical costs incurred by the state of California and its taxpayers for the care of the octuplets, a Georgia Senator has drafted two bills that will be presented on Thursday that if passed, will severely limit IVF procedures, gamete donation, and embryo adoption here. I first heard about this on Murgdan's blog last night and I am outraged. I'm sure she won't mind if I copy and paste the information directly from her site:

The Georgia Senate Health & Human Services Committee will hold a
hearing on two bills: SB 169 and SB 204 this Thursday, March 5, at 9:00
AM in Room 450 of the State Capitol. At the hearing, the committee will
hear testimony on the bills.

Georgia Reproductive Specialists
along with other Atlanta fertility clinics, RESOLVE and the American
Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) oppose both of the bills. The
hearing is open to the public and you are encouraged to attend the
hearing and send a letter to the Committee members before
Thursday. Senate Bill 169 would restrict doctors' ability to perform IVF
in accordance with best medical standards.

Here are the key provisions:

• No more than 2 or 3 eggs could ever be fertilized in a cycle; if a woman produced more eggs, they still could not be used.
  • Only 2 embryos could ever be transferred to the uterus, unless the woman is age 40 or over (then a max of 3).
  • No extra embryos could be cryopreserved. If they are created, they have to be transferred.
  • No financial relief,
    such as insurance coverage, is proposed to help with the added
    financial burden of using less effective treatment. Patients will still
    have to pay out of pocket for less effective treatment.
  • Bans all financial compensation for donor gametes, such as egg donor, sperm donor, or embryo donation, which would reduce the pool of available donors in Georgia.

SB
204/HB388 is an embryo adoption bill. It would subject embryo donation
to all the same provisions as required by law for adoption of a child.
This would subject infertility patients needing an embryo donation to
go through the judicial proceedings, home visits, and other procedures
required for an adoption. We do not believe that such treatment is
appropriate or needed for embryo donation.

If you care
about open access to the best care possible to let the Committee
members know before Thursday that you oppose these two bills.

If you live in Georgia and you want to contact the members of this
committee, you can send a letter through this RESOLVE site. Click here for more information.

Georgia citizen or not, PLEASE consider sending each of the committee members a letter in opposition to the two bills TODAY. We have to do what we can to keep some assclown politician from further limiting already limited childbearing options in infertiles.

Drive by to the Drive by: I thank ALL of my bloggy friends for the love and support shown to us, we still need 1800 units of Gonal-F if you are able to donate, Sock-it-to-Me is open to everyone and the sign up ends on Friday, March 6, and please email the assclowns on the Senate committee so that Georgian infertiles aren't limited any more than they already are.

Over and out.

1. tash on March 4, 2009 at 11:32 am

1) you say Follistim, I say Godiva. Tomato, Tomahto.
    2) I sent you an email re: socks and got zilch in return — problem? Or am I good to go? (I even have my socks already!)
    3) I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. And I bet the people who drafted this nonsense don’t know implant from transfer, or fertilized eggs from unfertilized. I say we make every person responsible for voting for this POS legislation take a 20 question fertility quiz. I bet the answers are SHOCKING.

2. duck on March 4, 2009 at 12:15 pm

great news on the meds and insanity on the politics (like how do they sleep at night – where are all those “freee the babies don’t kill the children people” why aren’t they out there kicking up a storm for those embryos). Sheesh, this is what makes me raise an eyebrow sometimes on american politics. In canada we’ve already laid down the law on ART (it’s illegal here to compensate a surrogate or use an agency to find a surro, or compensate an egg donor – we can pay only expenses), but thankfully no laws limiting embryo transfer or freezing.. man octomom sure did make life more difficult for the rest of the infertiles.

3. Kristin on March 4, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Reading that info on the assclowns (man I love that word) in the Georgia senate and the fucknuttery of the bill they are trying to push through pushed me over the edge. Combine that with constant Octomom buzz and the ABC news story about designer babies last night and I’m afraid my sarcastic side was showing in my latest post. Like you, I had avoided the whole Octomom topic until now but that crappola pushed me over the edge.

4. Alicia Millis on March 4, 2009 at 1:54 pm

yay! that is so wonderful that the internets have come through for you guys with some drugs! yuppee!
    i hope you are able to cycle this month, but if not april will be awesome!

5. Heather R. on March 4, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Yay for meds and sock exchange.
    Now *ahem*
    FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK
    Octopussy is fucking everything up for everyone else who was playing by the rules. They take an exception to the norm and run with it? IDIOTS!

6. Heather R. on March 4, 2009 at 3:30 pm

As far as drive by’s go, you’d have been caught!
    I will be writing the GA gubment to express my displeasure because as you know politics seem to have a “monkey see, monkey do” mentality. It’s only a matter of time before this crap tries to come to Florida.

7. Calliope on March 4, 2009 at 4:29 pm

that is INSANE Georgia, insane. ugh.
    So excited that donated meds are coming in. I so wish I had some to pass on. Even my estrace is expired now (with no new RX). But I have only ever used donated meds and they just seem more special…I know, I’m a dork.
    Thinking of you & Chance.
    (& are you guys wanting to start ASAP or would you prefer April start- I couldn’t tell what I needed to be rooting for)

8. My Reality on March 4, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I am glad some meds are headed your way!
    I can’t believe the crap GA is trying to put through. Seriously. WTF?

9. Heather R. on March 4, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Looks like Missouri is hoping on the bandwagon of knee jerking jerks. I can’t get to the proposed bill on the states website but I’ll keep trying.

10. Carrie Holmquist on March 4, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Thank your for making me aware of the crap GA is doing. I went ahead and emailed everyone 😉

11. Io on March 4, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Ghiardelli and Godiva? You make fertility meds sound so yummmmmmy! Can Frank whip something up with those? Like maybe if somebody mails a little extra gonal f he could make cupcakes with it?
    I want to get in on the sock thing! Sign me up!
    And I am hoping that Georgia is like Indiana and stupid shit gets proposed and the committee will kill it.

12. Alex on March 4, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Lots of serious and important stuff in your post but I’m just going to zero in on the really, really important point: Over the years, I have had the opportunity to use each of Follistim, Gonal-F, Ghiardelli, and Godiva, and I can tell you this: Ghiardelli and Godiva have nothing in common with the first two. Well, except maybe that both (pairs) have added a few pounds around my hips. And that neither (pair) is good at room temperature. But otherwise …

13. Moxie on March 4, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Long time, no hear! Your comment had me rolling! How have you been?

14. Jennifer on March 5, 2009 at 2:20 am

I have 450 units of Gonal F (the multi-dose vial, not the pen). It doesn’t need to be mixed, you just draw it up in a syringe (sub q it was for me). It’s marked “multidose” because you can take many doses out of it, but if you are using that much, you should be able to use all of the meds out of one vial. At the time, I was on 75 units, so one vial lasted me a while. (I never opened or used this one) It is marked with an exp date of 3/09 BUT I was assured by my clinic that it is good for at least 2 months past that date. It has been stored properly, the only thing I did was peel off part of the pharmacy label (I got it from freedom fertility) when I was trying to sell it. But I can send it to you if you want it as a donation. I also have an ovidrel trigger, not sure if you use that or not. That doesn’t expire until 6/09 and it’s been in my fridge.
    You can email me at foreverloves@comcast.net.

15. Andrea on March 5, 2009 at 7:44 pm

So I checked on ordering Gonal-F for you from my pharmacy, but I can only order some every 3 months because that’s how my doctor wrote the Rx (3 month supply). I need to order in the beginning of May for my June DE cycle, so I can’t order now becasue it’s too close to May. I’m so sorry, I was really excited about helping you with meds. If I can figure out a way, I will most certainly do it!

16. whichbox on March 5, 2009 at 9:55 pm

drive by comment – I’m in for socks and will be in to blogging again soon. busy weeks.

17. MoreFaith on July 19, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Hello All.. first time here… I am pleading to anyone out there. I have had 2 IVFs years ago, and now started my 3rd. After Using up almost all of my Gonal F – I don’t have enough follicles to continue. I am to start a New Cycle next month with a Micro flare Lupron. I have used up all monies available and NEED more Meds.. I got ONE MORE chance.. PLEASE!! if there is anyone out there with any Gonal F or Bravelle.. Please! I just want to try one more time… it’s going to work! Please! And Thank you! amorci1013@hotmail.com

18. Hello everyone, So glad to find a site like this. This is my first time here. I am starting my IVF and was not told that I had to pay for medications. So I have bought everything but Follistim and the one tube of HCG that I need. I did not realize how frustrating this can be. Me and my husband are out of money now due to paying for the treatments – anyone have suggestions or advice? I have tried to take out another loan but the bank is not giving me a chance.
    My email is Genree2002@yahoo.com and please put heading of IVF so I won’t delete by mistake.

19. Surrogacy on December 31, 2009 at 1:06 am

Great Post…..
    I found your site on stumbleupon and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!
    Thanks for sharing….