Best day ever (for now, at least)

About a week ago, Frank finally decided for certain what he wants to be when he grows up. It's a career path that he's been somewhat wishy-washy about for the past two years or so. One day last week, as soon as I walked in from work he said, "I've made up my mind; I'm going to major in Physical Education." With conviction. Serious conviction, in the same tone of voice that you might use to tell someone that there was a bomb strapped to their ass and that if they farted, it would explode.

Finally, I thought. He'd been tossing around three or four different possible careers since he was discharged from the Army almost 8 years ago. There wasn't any pressure for him to make an immediate decision. The twins were just four months old at the time; our plan was for him to stay at home until our last child (however many we hoped to have) started school. At that time, he'd either go to college or go straight into the workforce, depending on what it was he chose to do. Well, we knew when we had her that Kaelyn was most certainly the last bit of loinfruit that he would produce. Kaelyn's birth marked the start of Frank's countdown clock, and with her being at home for only the next school year, he was feeling the pressure of needing to narrow in on a choice.

I was getting edgy, because he seemed so non-commital and blah about every option that he weighed. "Just do what makes you happy, Frank. Don't think about potential income or your Multiple Sclerosis or stuff like that. What good is going to school for a career that might pay well, but you hate doing it? I'd rather you stay at home and have us keep walking the border between Quite Alright and Poor Ass Broke than have you spend your life working a job you despise." Still, he hemmed and hawed and teetered and tottered, all in that quiet, pensive way of his.

So when he solidly proclaimed his desire to major in Phys Ed, I exhaled and jumped around like an idiot, bombs on my ass be damned.

Today I took the day off of work to go with him to his appointment with the admissions coordinator at the university. With the military base here, the school has a coordinator who works specifically with soldiers and veterans, who are eligible for educational benefits. We knew that Frank has additional benefits called Vocational Rehabilitation due to being rated at 30% disability from the MS. Until today, we didn't know what the extent of his benefits were.

VocRehab will pay for 100% of his tuition and books. They will pay for a new laptop. They will pay approximately a $900 per month stipend directly to Frank (based on the number of his dependents) to help cover living expenses while he is in school.

Cha-ching!

Then, because of all the rain (in case you haven't noticed, the South is being flooded), we went to Blockbuster to pick up some new release movies for the kids since they wouldn't be able to go out to play after school. We got home in just enough time to do the surprise prep-work before the bus came with the kids. We blew up the air mattress and dressed it with sheets, blankets, and pillows and laid the kids pj's out on the couch. We made popcorn and divvied it up among the kids' five special popcorn bowls. We saw them come running down the street in the pouring rain, and they made sure to stomp in every megapuddle along the way. We met them at the door with towels and ushered them into the family room. They all screamed with glee when they saw their set-up, then scrambled to wiggle out of their wet clothes and into their warm, cozy jammies. YOU'RE THE BEST PARENTS EVER! (Kyra) I LOVE YOU INFINITY TIMES A ZIGMILLION! (Jordan) YOU GUYS ARE AWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESOME! (Teej) YOU MY BEEEEST FRIEEEND! (Kaelyn) YOU ROCK! (Jaiden)

Cha-ching, cha-ching!

With el Cinco mesmerized by buttery, sodium-laced carbohydrates and animated superhero dogs, I took a moment to check my school email. A student had written to ask if the rumor she heard on the bus was true – had school been cancelled for tomorrow? I didn't get my hopes up but crossed my fingers just the same. About ten minutes later, an email came in from the district superintendent – school is, in fact, closed tomorrow due to inclement weather. Our area has been under a tornado watch for most of the past week. Snow Days? Pshaw. Here in the Dirty South we get Your Ass Might Be Blown Away Days. Hell to the yeah. We get to spend tomorrow cozied up doing rainy day stuff like watching movies, reading, coloring, and having in-house water gun wars (what? you don't do that at your house?).

Best. Day. Ever.

1. Heather R. on April 2, 2009 at 7:29 pm

OMG ADOPT ME!!!! I have feetie PJ’s with a velcro butt flap! I’d fit right in!
    Go Frank! Way to take control and make the military your bitch!
    I am SUPER glad you are having a better day today. HUUUUUGE HUGS!

2. VA Blondie on April 2, 2009 at 7:32 pm

That is the best day ever. Have a wonderful day!

3. Moxie on April 2, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Heather, you crack me the freak up.

4. Melissa on April 2, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Awesome!! I love hearing stories about the military taking care of the people who served our country too! Woot woot!

5. Heather R. on April 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Is it sad that I wasn’t kidding about the feetie jams?
    *hangs head in shame*

6. Kristin on April 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm

In-fucking-credible!!! I am so damned happy for y’all. Pshaw…water gun fights in the house are nothing. You haven’t lived until you have a running shaving cream fight in doors.

7. Moxie on April 2, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Oooh, we’ve done those, too! We’re just all out of shaving cream, and water is in never-ending supply. Maybe I should send Frank to the store…. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Stacie on April 2, 2009 at 8:28 pm

That sounds like an fantastic day, Moxie! You and your family deserve this. Yay for Blow the Fuck Away Days! Oh wait, that’s not what you called it – same difference?
    Way to go Frank!!

9. tash on April 2, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Sweet! And GO FRANK! Hey, listen. I went to college all set to be a brain surgeon or somesuch, and got there and read the freakin’ course catalogue and realized I had missed a whole mess of interesting stuff in wee Arizona. So I decided, if I’m spending a kajillion $ a year at a good institution, I was going to take advantage of it. And took what I wanted to. And learned a bunch.
    Years and years and a PhD later, I sit unemployed, blogigng, and redoing a hundred year old house. I just told my husband today that I wouldn’t mind representing my college at a local college night, but I wasn’t sure about interviewing because I might scare the kids: WTF did I do with that great education? look at me! Deadbabymama burn out at 40! And husband about leapt down my throat: “College made you a better person. It rounded you out. It filled out your mind.”
    He has a point. In sum: Take what makes you happy. The whole thing makes you a better person.

10. Jo on April 2, 2009 at 9:40 pm

If you’re adopting, sign me up. Your house sounds like amazing fun.
    And no fair on the no school thing. . .I’ve got one more day to get through until Spring Break. That is if OUR tornado watch doesn’t result in my portable being blown away. . . ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hugs,
    Jo

11. Danielle on April 2, 2009 at 9:58 pm

WOOOHOOOO!!!! Way to go Frank! Hope you all enjoyed your fun night and have a great time with your water fight tomorrow. We don’t have water fights in the house, but we do have frosting fights at EVERY possible moment. It’s a bitch to clean up, but totally worth it!

12. Cindy on April 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Best days ever ROCK! ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad you had a good one.

13. brown-eyed-girl on April 3, 2009 at 10:23 am

Oh, that’s it. I’m cutting work and coming to hang out at your house.

14. Shea on April 3, 2009 at 11:06 am

Okay, I grew up in East Texas and never had school cancelled due to storms or tornados!! How unfair! But I love getting a snow day in Colorado because that means I stay home with the kiddos too.
    Yeah to Frank! My husband seems to be addicted to college, I can’t remember when he wasn’t in school.

15. Baby Smiling In Back Seat on April 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Hooray for Frank, and for proper pro-education policies!

16. Io on April 3, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Ok, WHAT? You get school off if there *might* be a tornado? What kind of cracktastic town do you live in?! We get a few twisters a year, but we always had school – if a tornado came you went and sat in the hallway with your head between your knees.
    I feel cheated.
    And if you are adopting,you don’t want any of those above fools, you want me. I come with Al who will cook with Frank and keep us well fed.

17. Trish K on April 3, 2009 at 6:02 pm

YAY YAY YAY- I love days when everything seems to go so well. I am excited about Frank deciding to go back to school. You know my hubby just started college for the first time. He won’t get a new job out of it, but I think he gets a little raise when he is finished. He is also getting military benefits, but not to the extent of Frank. Congrats on all of your good news!

18. Heather R. on April 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Hold me back before I smack Io with my pillow!
    I’m not a fool!!
    I pity the fool!!!!!

19. JessPond on April 4, 2009 at 12:48 am

Wow, lots of fabulous news!! Hope your as didn’t get blown away, though! ๐Ÿ˜€

20. anymommy on April 4, 2009 at 4:08 pm

That is awesome. My kids are begging you to adopt them, just for a day ๐Ÿ˜‰

21. coffeegrl on April 4, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Sounds like an awesome day!

22. Wishing4One on April 4, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Um yeah for Frank! Yeah for all the cha-ching and yeah for rain days! I’m coming over…..

23. Heather R. on April 5, 2009 at 2:00 am

As if you didn’t have enough I gave you an award on my blog. *Kisses*

24. Bullets Are for Gangstas – Episode 6 on May 25, 2012 at 9:57 pm

[…] has just over a year left to go in school. It was April of 2009 when I wrote about how excited I was when he’d finally chosen Health & Physical Education a maj…. Now he’s trying to narrow down what grade level he’d like to teach. Right now […]

25. A Teachable Moment on June 5, 2012 at 12:54 am

[…] A ย heartbeat later, they burst out into the rain. They splashed. They screamed. They laughed. They proclaimed it to be the new best day ever. […]

26. The Golden Age of Frank on January 6, 2014 at 10:28 pm

[…] this post from 2009 when Frank finally decided that he wanted to be a PE teacher when he grew up? After years […]