Happy birthday, my Frank. I'll be your pimp any day.

A role reversal in this house means that Frank goes to school and I'm the one who's at home with el Cinco, doing laundry and cooking. The idea of me cooking makes usually makes friends and family gasp with feigned, over-exaggerated incredulity: "OH. MY GAWSH. You COOKED? YOU? And you did some laundry, too? Surely this must be a sign of the Apocalypse."

I can cook, good people, but I just don't have to because Frank does it most of the time. I semi-brag often about how Frank does this, that, and the other around the house, things which traditionally fall into the hands of a woman to complete. Tradition. This is not the traditional household.

Last week, Frank went to an informational workshop for the Regents Exam. He was given a practice essay to complete and of the given topics, he chose this one: Is the traditional role of father changing? Explain why you think it is or isn't.

There are lots of things that I like about his essay, like how he took single fathers, gay fathers, and other stay-at-home fathers like himself into consideration, but the part I love the most is the conclusion which reads:

I may not be the sole financial provider, but I am the protector of my family. I love my wife and my children. I coach the kids
in soccer and t-ball and we fix their bikes together when the chains
pop off. I change the oil in the van, mow the lawn, and take out the trash. I can do all of this, and still bake some cookies, too.

I am one of many new traditional fathers.

Couldn't you just hug him? Taking on more of the "traditional" roles of a woman doesn't make him feel like less of a man. In fact, he says it makes him feel like more of a man.

Raise your hand if you love frank. *Raises hand. Both of them, and flails them wildly.*

Happy birthday, Frank. We love you (and not just because you bake us cookies the size of Kaelyn's face).

**************************************

Want to get Frank a birthday present? Check out his Etsy shop: Frank's Big Ones Bakery

While I'm in big pimp mode, allow me to also direct your attention to a fabulous store from another blogger:

Heavenscentboutiquebutton-1

Tarah from The Johnsons Have Angel Wings has conjured up some delightful scents in the form of "whipped body frostings" and lotions. They looked so luxuriously silky that I placed an order for three body frostings! Click the button to go order some for yourself!

1. Carrie Holmquist on July 6, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Raising hands with you! We love Frank, too! Tell him we all say happy birthday!
    Oh, and Cody still can’t stop gushing over those ribs. Silly man.

2. GeekByMarriage on July 6, 2009 at 12:56 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRANK!!!! I could just eat you up but the Moxie would have a fit and no one wants that. Have a GREAT day!
    Moxie,
    Need some baby powder on that pimp hand?

3. Baby Smiling In Back Seat on July 6, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Happy Birthday Frank!
    People are often taken aback by the nontraditional features of my marriage. “Did you relocate for your husband’s career?” Me: No, he has relocated, several times, always for my career.
    “Now that she’s pregnant, you’ll have to do the laundry and the dishes!” Him: As long as we’ve lived together I have always been the one to do the laundry and the dishes. She changes flat tires and does the plumbing.
    My favorite occurred years ago when we were driving with a male friend through the rural midwest. At a gas station, my husband decided to check the oil, then couldn’t figure it out and asked his friend get out of the car and help him. His friend couldn’t figure it out either, so I got out of the car and did it myself. The toothless old man sitting outside the gas station almost fell out of his rocking chair laughing. He was not celebrating my competence as much as mocking their incompetence.
    Gender stereotypes do a disservice to men and women.

4. calliope on July 6, 2009 at 4:13 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRANK!!!!
    you are the awesome in so many ways!

5. pam on July 6, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Happy Birthday Frank!!!

6. Cindy on July 6, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I just tried to order my cookies and it would never transfer me over to the paypal site….I’ll try again later. My mouth is watering thinking of those chocolate chips with pecans….yummmmmmmm.

7. Kristin on July 6, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Happy Happy Birthday Frank. You completely ROCK (and not many men except my hubby get to hear that from me)!

8. Danielle on July 6, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Happy happy birthday Frank!

9. becoming whole on July 6, 2009 at 5:34 pm

If I hadn’t been sitting in the li-berry while reading this, I would have made a big loud noise in celebration of his Frank-ness. Woot! (Are you working on that clone for me yet, girl?)

10. Trish K on July 6, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Happy birthday to Frank!!!!
    Can’t wait to get my cookies.

11. tash on July 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Awwww, it’s ok if I love Frank a wee bit too, right?
    Happy Birthday, Frank!! (Cookies look AWESOME.)

12. Aunt Becky on July 7, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Happy Birthday, Frank!

13. a on July 10, 2009 at 4:39 pm

A little late, but Happy Birthday Frank (apparently a day after my own!)!!!
    My husband is also picking up the non-traditional roles. He cooks, he does laundry, he stays home with our daughter. He’s not much for cleaning, but I can’t have everything, can I? The best part about it is that this is totally against the grain for him – he wants to be the provider (because he thinks it’s the power position). Here’s to all the guys who can step outside thier stereotype!