ICLobstersWithin

What kind of an idiot leaves a heavy question like "What are you afraid of"as the newest post on the first day of ICLW?

That would be me. There are many heartwrenching comments in the post below and it seems as though it was a bit cathartic for some people to be able to voice some of their fears aloud, especially considering the blogging community we are a part of. Generally, though, I like to leave posts of a lighter nature here for the first day of ICLW.

So to make up for it, let's take the same question, only with a lighter expectation of answers. What are you afraid of, as in phobias? Things like clowns, spiders, the dark, and Sarah Palin (oh, yes I did go there).

I'm terrified of flying, so much so that I literally get the bubble guts from just watching news coverage of plane accidents. Dude, seriously – lock your trays into their proper upright positions, then tuck your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye.

~~~

For tonight's Show and Tell I have for your viewing pleasure on of the most hysterical things that I have ever seen. While in Mt. Pleasant on Saturday, Frank and I spent some time in the arcade of a local family fun park. The first game you're met with almost as soon as you walk in the doors is one of those catch-a-prize-with-the-giant-you-control-it-robot-claw things. But there was something strange….

108_0014

What the…what the frizzle, I thought. Is that seriously what I think it is?

I leaned in closer and saw that it was.

108_0015

Then I burst into laughter so raucous that when I inhaled to catch my breath, spit went down the wrong way and I damn near choked myself into asphyxiation.

See what others have brought to Show and Tell this week over at Mel's place.

Would you believe me if I told you that I dreamed about catching a Palin-faced lobster? I shudder.

1. jesspond on October 21, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Oh dude, I second airplanes/flying, but it’s no “lighter note” for me. I don’t like to even SEE a plane. I don’t even like to see one IN A MOVIE. I. Hate. Air. Travel. PERIOD.
    I do not want to take a vacation with a plane trip. I do not want to take my CHILDREN on a plane. I do not want to even CONSIDER taking them, actually, on a plane.
    Screw airplanes!! Someone needs to invent teleporting, though, in a bad way, cause I LOVE Hawaii, and the ocean in general. And live….in Ohio.
    hahahaha

2. MyBumpyJourney on October 21, 2009 at 11:54 pm

what IS that? I honestly can’t tell!!! I am afraid of flying bugs. Motorcycles.l I actually love airplanes. I normally fall asleep during take off- weird I know.
    I just realized in my crazy move/fil/etc. I forgot to tell you my cookie order for winning!!ARGH!! I could have used them this past week….must go find that email…(I am moving blogs from BabyMakingJourney at blogger to MyBumpyJourney at WordPress. 🙂

3. Kristin on October 22, 2009 at 12:56 am

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

4. Jen on October 22, 2009 at 2:28 am

I am totally freaked out and scared by bugs, of any kind. It’s wierd because as a kid I liked bugs to an extent, but now even lightning bugs creep me out! Happy ICLW!

5. Sian on October 22, 2009 at 6:21 am

Hahaha! That Lobster thing made me laugh. I am terrified of snakes. I also used to be terrified of Jacob Zuma (Our President) But now ….not so much! ICLW

6. karlinda on October 22, 2009 at 6:52 am

That lobster thing is what scares me, & the casual cruelty of the whole thing. As if boiling them alive wasn’t bad enough.

7. a on October 22, 2009 at 8:57 am

The fact that the lobsters are alive would make that claw game marginally more difficult…if the prey can move. I wonder if the lobsters think like the aliens in Toy Story (I have been chosen!).
    I have no phobias…although I might develop a Sarah Palin one if I keep having to see her.

8. T Lee on October 22, 2009 at 9:15 am

Hahahahahaha, that claw machine is amazing!!!
    I am deathly afraid of spiders. Deathly. Afraid. I would rather fight a Grizzly Bear with a pocketknife than deal with a spider…

9. Suzy on October 22, 2009 at 11:06 am

That is awesome!

10. Beautiful Mess on October 22, 2009 at 11:32 am

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love it! That’s too funny!
    My fear is SO silly! It’s not anything “normal” or that ANYONE understands but me…*deep breath* I’m afraid of giraffes! *shudders* They don’t freak me out as much as they use too, but MAN to those long necks of theirs creep me out! Oh and then when they fight and throw their heads and necks against each other..all bets are off cuz my ass is leaving the room! So there’s my crazy fear!
    *HUGS*

11. leanne on October 22, 2009 at 11:34 am

Bugs. Especially if they crunch when you have to squish ’em. Or ones with too many legs. And ear wigs. Ugh.
    My spine is now shivering.

12. Io on October 22, 2009 at 11:59 am

Eek! Sarah Palin scares the crap out of me every time I think about people ACTUALLY VOTING FOR HER. If it weren’t for that, I would just be amused.
    And I have a mini-lobster phobia. As a little kid I had a lobsterish looking bug crawl on my neck while I was at the beach and I squished my neck down while I screamed, so it couldn’t escape and my mom couldn’t grab it off me. But I was too scared to relax my neck. I still don’t like people touching the right side of my neck.

13. Fertility Chick on October 22, 2009 at 1:46 pm

LOL!
    You hit the nail on the head with many of my phobias. Spiders? Check. In fact most bugs – check. Scary movies? Check. The dark if I let my imagination get overactive? Check. And clowns? HELL YES. Gosh clowns scare the hell outta me.
    Great post! (PS still giggling that you appreciated the #2 on my blog too! 😉 )

14. Caitlin on October 22, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Shit that is hilarious! And this was in a family fun arcade? What would you do with one if you caught it?!
    Personally I am afraid of the dark. I mean pitch dark – when you can’t even see your hand in front of your face. I think it stems from watching Sile.nce of the La.mbs over and over as a kid. You never know what could be in front of you…or next to you… This is why I will not do haunted houses -EVER!

15. deathstar on October 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Really can’t tolerate small enclosed dark spaces. Will literally squirm in my seat even if I see a coffin scene in a movie. The very thought – oooh, I gotta vomit.

16. Sass on October 23, 2009 at 6:54 am

I am terrified of Clowns.
    I cannot even watch a Maccas advert on the TV if Ronald McDonald is on.
    Our shopping centre during the Christmas period has hundreds of horrible clowns hanging from the ceiling…ready to fall on top of me and attack me with their freakiness.
    Sass
    ~ICLW

17. Jen on October 23, 2009 at 12:33 pm

ewww lol…I hate planes as well.

18. Lynn on October 23, 2009 at 2:02 pm

The lobster grab thing scares me, lol! Seriously though, that is the strangest thing I’ve ever seen. Light-hearted scaredy things, eh? Water. I hate it. I don’t know how to swim and I am petrified of being near water any deeper than that in the shower (yes shower, forget a bath – not happening!). I know its weird, but I’ve been that way mywhole life!

19. Sheri on October 23, 2009 at 2:24 pm

That is TOO funny! I’ve seen lobster tanks at restaurants before, but never as a “grabbing” game. HAHAHAHAHA!

20. JourneyGirl on October 24, 2009 at 5:36 am

Oh gosh, I was having a pretty miserable day until I saw your show and tell – absolute classic!!
    I am afraid of seeing a face at the window when it is dark so I can’t have any window uncovered from dusk onwards – I absolutely freak out. Clowns aren’t my favourite either. My best mate and sister rented a crappy horror movie called Clownhouse when we were young – freaked the hell out of all of us, mainly when they scuttled across the sreen in the background – we turned that sucker off quick smart I tell you!!

21. Fran on October 24, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Hi! Also had a terrible fear of flying! Then I found a very helpful website and started dealing with it a bit better. I still don’t enjoy it but I have stopped sweating!
    Fran
    ICLW

22. anymommy on October 24, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Clothes hung over doors or chairs. I know. I’m a total freak. I love to fly though 😉

23. Sunny on October 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I am scared of bad guys breaking into my house. Especially when my husband is on a business trip. In college I did an internship out of state and lived alone in an apartment… I couldn’t sleep unless I had a chair propped up against the door. I don’t know where this started!

24. pj on October 27, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Haha! I wish you could literally come over and check out my pee sticks! I posted a pic, but it’s not the same. I don’t even think you can tell on the 1st one in the picture that there is a line, but there definitely is (and was within the first 3 minutes).
    Beta is Friday.

25. Former IM on November 7, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I can’t figure out what everyone was laughing at in the tank… I would love to know so I can join in.
    The idea of a lobster claw game though… (shudder)