Inked

The tattoo is perfect, just as I thought it would be.

The experience of getting the tattoo was the stuff of family classic storytelling, just like I knew it would be.

My mom, her boyfriend (manfriend? life partner?) Richard, and Chanel and Dani were all there. Richard and I were getting our first tats, and Mom and Dani were also getting new tattoos. Chanel was along for the ride to point and snicker.

I went first, mostly so that I wouldn’t have the chance to chicken out.

Brandi – who I am now convinced is one of the most talented artists I’ve had the pleasure of knowing personally – was sweet, patient, and professional. She has a demeanor that is equal parts perky and soothing, and as nervous as I was I felt confident about letting her permanently alter my body.

Brandi & Moxie

Aside from being a kickass artist, she likes pirates, classic literature and classic cars, Harry Potter, and good music. My kind of girl.

Still, I spent the entire time faceplanted under my sister’s boob, gripping her back and panting like a laboring dog:

tattoo faceplant

Poor Dani, the willing support victim. I bit her once. Oops.

Nearly the entire time, I was thinking that people who got more than one tattoo were fucking masochists. The use of the f-bomb in the adjective form was very necessary, because it effing hurt and surely people who actually liked  to get tattoos were effing crazy. And I told them so. “You guys are freaking MASOCHISTS.” I determined that they were also sadists, because they all laughed at me. Freaks.

Dani & Chanel

Don't say, "Awww." They are not angelic. They laughed at me. Bitches.

But at some point I came to a place where it seemed to stop hurting, and instead of squeezing the life out of Dani’s backfat, I was able to watch Brandi work. I liked being able to watch her progress, and somehow I felt…I don’t know…prettier as she inked in the last bits of shading. Maybe it had something to do with the idea of permanent change for the better happening so easily. If only it were so easy to reshape bits of your personality that are in need of improvement. I think what the feeling mostly comprised was of the accomplishment of knowing that I’d sucked up enough courage to do something that I said I never would because I was too scared to. There is something greatly satisfying in beating weaker parts of yourself at your own game.

The end result:

Fortunate tattoo

There is a white star on the left that you can barely see which represents me. The four middle stars represent Kyra, Jaiden, Jordan, and Kaelyn. The big blue one represents Frank.

As soon as I saw how good it looked, I decided right then that eventually, I’ll get another tattoo. It won’t be any time soon and I have no idea what I want, but I know that at some point I’ll want to define some other future life accomplishment with ink.

In the meantime, Brandi is working up a sketch of a more masculine version of the same tattoo for Frank. We’re tentatively planning for him to get his tattoo next month.

Like a good sadist, I want him to feel the love, too.

I leave you with this picture, just because it is made up of too much of The Cute not to share:

Bella & Kaelyn

Bella & Kaelyn

What is something that you did that you said you never would? I guess this works both ways, with the action being something you regretted or something that made you feel more accomplished. Take whichever angle you wish.

1. InDueTime on July 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm

LOVE IT! And you. And those other five stars. xoxo

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Love you back, girl.

2. Beautiful Mess on July 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

It looks amazing! I love it!

I, actually, never thought I’d be able to get a tattoo for my mom. I did it, obviously, and am in love with it! I’m actually thinking about adding some color to it. It was very therapeutic to get it.
    *HUGS*

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 9:56 pm

*hugs* to you. I think my tattoo was a little theraputic, too.

3. Another one suffering from chickenitis, otherwise known as a total chickenshit. on July 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm

It is beautiful! See, I told you it would hurt like a mofo-but then it almost goes numb and doesn’t hurt nearly as bad. But it still hurts. 🙂 I’m proud of you.

One thing I did that I swore I never would? Only one thing? Really, only one?

Signed,
    It’s MS. Smartass to you! 🙂

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 9:57 pm

You weren’t lying about it hurting like a mofo. I’m sure you have a loooong list of things you’ve done that most NORMAL people wouldn’t even think of. That’s one of the reasons why I love you, Ms. Smartass.

4. Tisha on July 19, 2011 at 1:51 pm

It looks great! What did the kids have to say about it?

I swore I’d never move out of San Diego after my discharge from the Marines. But then I got laid off, and my husband pointed out that I could be a homemaker (and SAHM once the kids show up) if we moved to Silicon Valley for his job. I’m not sure if I feel more accomplished, but I definitely feel more “grown up” for doing so–acting in our best interests as a family, rather than staying in the place I love.

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm

You get mad props for that, Tisha. I think anything that makes you feel more grown up is definitely an accomplishment.

5. Lori Lavender Luz on July 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Love it. You just nudged me one millimeter closer to my own tatt. Which is still about a million miles away.

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm

DO IT, Lori! It might help you center your chi or align or chakras. Or something. 🙂

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm

“…aligning YOUR chakras.” me = dope

6. HereWeGoAJen on July 19, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I love it!

And I was going to say more things about the great tattoo, but then the cutest picture at the end distracted me. That is some serious cute.

• Moxie on July 19, 2011 at 10:00 pm

She does have a way of wiping out all clear thought, doesn’t she? 🙂

7. Trish on July 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I love it! I thought the stars might represent the members of your family.

That is some serious cuteness in the last picture!

I can’t think of anything that I said I would never do, and have actually done. Except maybe sound like my mother when I’m talking to my own children.

• Moxie on July 20, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Yeah – that was another one I said I’d never do. I think I sound more and more like my mom each day, and furthermore, I’m thinking maybe that’s not such a bad thing.

8. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on July 20, 2011 at 8:18 am

It was an experience to behold! But I will NEVER again spend 8 hours at a tattoo parlor. We need to do shifts next time! LOL

• Moxie on July 20, 2011 at 6:52 pm

You were a trooper, Mom!

9. JJ on July 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

LOVE the ink. I just got my second one done in May–Im definitely hooked 🙂

• Moxie on July 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I’m almost ashamed to admit that I might be hooked, too.

10. leanne on July 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Beautiful doesn’t even begin to describe that tattoo. And that photo of Kaelyn needs to be framed and up on a wall. If it isn’t already.

• Moxie on July 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm

That picture is one of several that we have earmarked to be printed and framed.

11. Balancing Act on July 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm

LOVE I! Will this be Frank’s first too? You must post pics from his as well.

There is a long list of things I said I would never do, but did.

• Moxie on July 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Yup, this will be Frank’s first. I will definitely blog about his experience.

12. Amelia on July 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Awww. It’s beautiful!!
    The thing I swore for 15 years I would never do was have kids. Then, I wanted to. After we had G, I’m all; I get it Duggars, I get it.

• Moxie on July 20, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I knew I wanted to have more than one right from the jump, but I STILL don’t get the Duggars. 🙂

13. a on July 20, 2011 at 10:57 pm

If I were to ever get a tattoo (which I will never do), I would spend a week or so poking myself in spots to find the least sensitive skin on which to do the tattoo. My leg would not make the cut. Ouch! Glad you managed to make it through – and it looks lovely.

14. Kristin on July 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hey Moxie, why don’t you and I kidnap Lori and take her to get a tattoo with us someday? Sounds like a plan to me.

BTW, it is stunning.

15. Alissa on July 21, 2011 at 4:04 am

Welcome to the darkside Cousin!!! I love your tattoo!!! I’m hooked and currently seeking an artist to complete my back. I find body art erotic!! I’m glad you had professional s with u Daniel Chanel and your mom my gansta Auntie

16. Alissa on July 21, 2011 at 4:05 am

Damn spell check!!! DANI, NOT DANIEL!!!

17. Skytimes on July 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Over here from Aunt Becky to admire your ink… it’s beautiful!! And even though it hurt like a fucker I’m sure as hell you’ll be back one day. Just finished my wrist and seriously, if that would’ve been my first, I wouldn’t have my arm covered up. *ouch* But of course I’ll be back as well… 🙂

Hope the pain, ooze and itch will bugger off soon. Enjoy…

• Moxie on July 22, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for the props! When I said that I wanted to get my tattoo down above my ankle, my mom and sisters warned that it would hurt like a mofo because Brandi would have to run over those prominent bones and tendons. They were right – the parts that ran over the Achilles’ tendon hurt like a sumunabitch. I can only imagine how it felt getting a tattoo on your wrist. Yikes.

18. andrea on July 22, 2011 at 9:56 pm

ILOVEEEEEE it!

• Moxie on July 22, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Thanks, Andrea!

19. Shena on October 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hi Kym!!!

I hope you haven’t forgotten me, your special blog stalker. I think of you often and while in my last year of Graduate school to obtain my Elementary & Special Education degree this blog came back to mind through my current literacy course!! With your permission I would like to use this piece as a guided reading piece for class….tomorrow! hehe (yep i’m a procastinator) so I’m going to ass-ume it’s ok..LOL…I won’t use your wussie pics though! LOL

Anyways, Love the TAT…and go figure I got one this JULY as well the top of my right foot!! My first one as well….and i swore it would be the last. Right after it was done I knew it wouldn’t be the last….LOL but it did take 32 years to finally pick out what I wanted….a butterfly and a lily flower…..I love it…It represents the change I’m going through and where I will eventually land at again.

Well email me….let’s catch up!!

Luv Ya,

Shena

20. American Boys on October 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm

[…] – Frank is finally getting his tattoo […]

21. Gangsta Love on April 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm

[…] commissioned our über-talented tattoo artist Brandi to draw a ganstafied picture of […]