What's in a Name?

Today Calliope posted about names – blog names, real names, and whether you like either or neither. This is particularly relevant to me because as part of this blog switch, I have been debating whether or not I should work up a pen name for myself. I really don’t care much that you all know me by my real name, and my family reads my blog (Hi, Mom), so complete anonymity isn’t really a huge necessity. However, I would like to make it at least a little less direct for my students to find me, should they decide that I am so interesting that they might want to Google me. Not that that has happened before (to my knowledge), but there is a niggling feeling that now is the time to do it.

What I am stuck with, though, is trying to figure out what the heck I should call myself.

One option I am considering is Sonnie K. This is what my mom has called me since I was born, and aside from a few cousins and a couple of aunts whom I rarely see, she’s the only one who ever calls me by this name. Sonnie is actually a derivative of my first name, and of course the K is my middle initial. While I wouldn’t mind using Sonnie K., nothing about it relates to this blog. I could live with that, but for the sake of continuity, I sort-of want a name that at least somewhat relates to the title of this blog.

Seeing as how this blog is titled The Smartness, I briefly considered calling myself “The Smartness.” But, that sounds much too close to The Bloggess. Like Highlander: there can be only one. “The Smartness” as a pen name is a no-go.

The other option I’m considering is K-Smarty. This one was used on a snarky joint blog that I created with Calliope and Io (wherefore art thou, oh Io?). The Vet Mafia Bloggers started as an idea I had which came out of a conversation I had with Io. We pulled in Calliope and created a place made specifically for venting with a side of amusement. It fizzled out within a month, mostly because the three of us were so focused on our own blogs and cycling (or frustration from the lack thereof) that we didn’t keep the momentum going like we should have, but it was fun while it lasted. If you’re in the mood for some vitriolic, but funny infertility humor,  is a good way to waste half an hour. Don’t miss The Vet Song, which we co-wrote as sort of an anthem for infertiles which was based on “The Jet Song” from West Side Story.

Where was I? Oh, yes – K-Smarty. I like it, since it has a gangsta vibe, which is what I was going for in the development of VMB. However, there is a page there which links to my old blog, which of course links to here. In a couple of weeks, I will take the old blog completely offline, so if anyone happened to access the old blog through the VMB page, they’d hit a dead end. Still – because I’ve already used K-Smarty in conjunction with the old blog, I’m a tiny bit hesitant to use it again, even though it would take a lot of net pecking to connect one to the other.

This is where I need your help, because though I am a smart one, I am apparently not smart enough to figure out my own damned name. Suggestions, anyone?

Sidenote: P90X Day 2 – Plyometrics = jumpingsquattingkickinglunginggroaningalmostpuking. That’s all I have to say about that.

1. Barbara on July 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm

so i’m a little deficient on the creative juices so i’ll choose from the choices or choice presented. k smarty is a go for me. love it. not just because it’s technically the only choice, but because it makes sense, gives you the continuity you desire and definitely relates to the title of the blog. yep, gets my vote.

2. Moxie on July 22, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Welcome to The Smartness, Barbara. All good points. If I decide to go with K-Smarty, you’ve outlined the reasons why.

3. Another one suffering from chickenitis, otherwise known as a total chickenshit. on July 23, 2011 at 1:14 am

Oh girl, you are SSOOOO going to regret asking me for suggestions. 🙂 Ya feelin’ me K-dawg? ROFLMAO

Signed,
    S-dawg.

• Moxie on July 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Word, S-dawg.

4. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on July 23, 2011 at 8:06 am

(Hi Daughter!)

K-Smarty sounds too much like K-Mart. K-Smarty shops at K-Marty.

How about “Bodhisattva Speaks”?

Bodhisattva is anyone who is motivated by compassion and seeks enlightenment not only for him/herself but also for everyone…An enlightened being who, out of compassion, forgoes nirvana in order to save or help others.

You have a humble motivation to help. To practice the perfection of ethics means to refrain from doing harm to yourself and all those around you. Patience – Effort – Enthusiastic is necessary if you want to achieve anything, Concentration when radiating inward and outward calm, you’ve become like a lighthouse in a stormy night. You inspire others with your strong mental capabilities. Wisdom is the root of all great qualities we can cultivate in this life and you are wise.

I’ve watched, read, and felt your journey more than you realize. Your blogs are inspiring and enlightening. You will never know the hundreds of people you’ve helped with your words of wisdom, encouragement, or how many times you made someone’s burdens easier to bear because they read a funny “family” story of our antics, collectively or individually. You’ve inspired people and touched lives.

And more significant to me is the fact that… YOU CAME BACK.

5. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on July 23, 2011 at 8:15 am

Of course if that’s too serious a title, we can shorten it to Smart-Bodhi (pronounced boo-dee or boo-day, you know like booty with a “d”). Most people say “boo-dee” rather than boo-tee when they say “booty” and you know a booty is also called an “ass” so it kinda goes with your theme.

6. a on July 23, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Whatever with the name – can I steal your mom?

7. StacieT on July 24, 2011 at 1:08 am

Oooh, I love your mom’s suggestion! I’m with a…I want to steal her, too!

8. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on July 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm

@ a and StacieT,

You both are kind to say that! 🙂

9. Moxie on July 24, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Stacie and a, my mom is boss. She has been known to adopt my friends in the past, so no need to steal her. Because then I might have to cut you. 😉

10. Sarahbear on July 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Mom’s suggestions have my vote.

I’ve been debating on deleting a blog with more adult related content when my hosting and domain expire because I’m going into teaching and there’s all this scary crap on tv about future employers possibly stumbling onto this and connecting the dots. Like the teacher who wrote erotica under a pen name and one parent found out it was her and lost her cookies. The school didn’t fire her, I don’t think, but some of the parents were being dumb. Personally, I’d be thrilled if my kids were learning English and grammar from a published author.

11. RaisingMiles on July 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I.B. Smarty
    Smart Dawg
    K. Thug

Love your mama!

12. coffeegrljp on July 26, 2011 at 10:13 am

Awesome suggestion from your mama! Of the suggested names already I like Smart Dawg and K. Thug. 🙂