“Are you stupid, Moxie? It’s still summer.”
Not in my book, it isn’t. In my world, it’s fall as soon as I’m back in my classroom shoving desks around the room to prepare for the new school year. Since that’s exactly what I’ll be doing tomorrow, summer is OVAH and it is autumn once again. Please excuse me while I run off to go cry in a corner somewhere.
My summer went by much too fast this year, but at least it gave me the time, among other things, to get my new space up and running. There are still features that I want to incorporate eventually, but because my writing juices were finally flowing again (that sounded kind-of nasty), I was impatient to open shop. Pictures still need to be hung on the walls and maybe a bit of painting needs to take place, but all of the boxes are unpacked and my new home is presentable enough for me to host a party or two. It’s been more than a year and a half since the last Sock It to Me, so I thought this would be a good way to break in the new blog.
Here’s a short history of the Sock It to Me Exchange, for those of you who aren’t in the know: In early 2009, I was gearing up for a second transfer with my now former intended parents Chance and Apollo. They needed the help of the infertility community in the form of IVF medications. Without the generous donations from our friends in the computer, that second transfer likely wouldn’t have been possible. I was thinking about the kindness shown to us and got the warm and fuzzies. That thought made me think of socks and the idea for SITM was sparked. I wrote this in the original SITM post:
It’s The Great Sock It to Me Exchange. The warmth you feel from your bloggy support is a warm and fuzzy pair of snuggly socks. Take the support with you for a trip to the stirrups. Wear them when you’re chasing around your battle-won little person. Put them on when you have something to celebrate or when you need a hug. Wear them as a physical reminder of all the people inside your computer who you know care for and are thinking of you.
In short, how it works is if you want to participate, you’ll sign up on the Sock It To Me Sign Up Form. In a couple of weeks, I’ll send you the contact information for your SITM match. Then, you’ll have a couple of weeks to shop for and mail a pair of socks to her. Soon thereafter on a designated day, you’ll put up a post on your blog (if you have one) showing off your socks. You’ll also write on an “assigned” topic related to the support you’ve received from the blogging community. If you don’t have a blog, you can write a post, send it to me, and I will post it here for you on your behalf. Here at The Smartness, I’ll have a post up called “The Sockeroo.” Once your post is up, come to The Sockeroo post to add the permalink to the list. From there, you’ll be able to click through and read about the other participants’ SITM experiences.
The past SITM Exchanges have always been lots of fun. The last SITM had over 60 participants (!!!), at least 10 of which were from Canada or overseas. When I was in The Void, many people emailed and asked if I’d ever host another exchange. I was warmed and touched by those emails; I don’t think it was until then that I realized how many people looked forward to it. Looking forward to another exchange was one of the things that helped encourage me to write again, so a special thanks goes out to those of you who reached out to me when I was in my corner pouting and recovering.
Sock It to Me Instructions:
1. Sign up here: Sock It to Me Sign-Up Form. Sign-up closes on Sunday, August 7, 2011. Don’t forget to add yourself to the participant list at the bottom of this page.
2. You will receive your “sock buddy’s” information by Saturday, August 13. If you don’t receive it by midnight EST on Saturday, please shoot me an email via the Contact page.
3. You have until Saturday, August 27, 2011 to shop for and mail the socks.
4. The week of September 12, 2011 is Sock It to Me Week. Post a picture of your socks (worn or not worn) with a link back to the blogger who sent them to you. Here is the topic of your post: It has been roughly a year and a half since the last SITM Exchange. Reflect on the past 18 or so months – how has support from others, either in the blogosphere or otherwise, helped you? Come back to The Smartness and add the permalink to your post to the Sockeroo. Sock It to Me Week is a week for warm and fuzzies. Like ummm…the socks.
5. Optional: Help spread the word! Copy and paste the code to grab the SITM button:
<a href="http://thesmartness.com/smartone/2011/07/sock-it-to-me-sign-up-fall-2011.html" target="_top"> <img alt="SockItToMe2011" src="http://thesmartness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/SITM-Fall-2011-button-e1311574350866.png">
Commonly Asked SITM Questions:
1. Do I have to be an infertility blogger to participate?
Absolutely not! SITM is open to everyone, because needing, giving, and receiving support isn’t exclusive to just the infertility community. It was my dealings with infertility/surrogacy which inspired the idea, but all who want to participate are welcome to. That said, majority of my readers are still members of the infertility community. If you are and would prefer to be paired with another from the infertility blogosphere, there is a space you can check on the sign-up form to let me know.
2. I hate socks; is there a way that I can still participate?
Some people have a full-fledged aversion to socks. Sure you can still participate! In the past, SITM has been held during colder months, so an alternative was to ask to be sent a warm hat or scarf instead of socks. Given the fact that it will barely be fall (real fall, not the Calendar of Moxie fall), when the exchange takes place, scarves and hats are out of season. So, the alternative will be office/school supplies instead, in the spirit of back-to-school season. Check the appropriate box on the sign-up form if you’d rather be sent something other than socks.
2. Do I share who I am with my sock buddy, or do I keep my identity a secret until she/he receives socks from me?
This is completely up to you! I like the element of surprise, so I personally prefer not to tell in advance. Of course, I have to assign myself a sock buddy, so I’m never surprised by who sends socks to me. Some have had to reveal themselves in order to ask a question before sending their socks. If you need to know something from your sock buddy but don’t yet want to reveal who you are, contact me and I’ll ask for you.
3. I signed up to participate, but something came up and I’ll have to back out. I don’t want to leave my buddy hanging. What do I do?
Hey – it happens! If you aren’t able to get your socks mailed out in time for your buddy to participate in SITM WEEK or won’t be able to participate at all, please let me know as soon as you can after the due date. I’ll have a list of participants on stand-by who won’t mind being a sock buddy to a second person. BUT – If your buddy never gets socks because you didn’t let me know you that couldn’t participate, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PARTICIPATE IN ANOTHER SITM EXCHANGE. That sucks, but it sucks worse to have been a good sock buddy to someone else and then not get to participate in the fun because someone forgot about you. Sad clown face.
4. Where are some places to look for some groovy socks?
Here are a few of my favorite places to browse for SITM socks:
- Sock Grams (I love Sock Grams, because a card to the recipient and gift wrapping is included.)
- Sock Dreams (There are bad ass socks here; think roller derby/sexy/stylish socks.)
- Joy of Socks
- Absolute Socks
If you have any other questions or know of some other good places to buy socks and quirky office supplies, please leave a note in the comments or shoot me an email through the Contact page.
Fall 2011 Sock It to Me Participant List
Rock out with your socks out!