Endorphins Make You Happy, But Not as Much as Money in the Bank

By definition, endorphins are supposed to be magic hormones which inhibit pain receptors. You hear the athletic types “wait for the endorphin rush” and then move into hyper-drive once they “kick in.” I call bullshit. I think my so-called endorphins will kick in just as soon as Dr. Ojalumse Ahmed from Burkina Faso, South Africa sends me the $5 million reward he promised me after I sent him my checking account number so that he can use it to transfer his money into a Swedish bank.

I am on P90X Week 2, Day 2. As much as working this hard makes me grumble, I have seen two benefits thus far that (somewhat) encourage me to keep going. Firstly, I’ve lost nearly six pounds. I know it isn’t just water weight, because I’d started adjusting my eating about a month ago, and had lost about six pounds before starting The Torture. I’m sure that was mostly water weight. Secondly, on Wednesday afternoon my period started. (By the way, if you are not one of my fellow infertile readers, we infertile blogging folk talk about the happenings of our uteri with all the banality of discussing the weather. Welcome to our world. Sort-of.) This is newsworthy because in the past year this is only my fourth period, and the other three were medically jump-started by a shot of progesterone. This period came on its own, and with all the force of an evil, mallet-wielding midget whanging me repeatedly in the soft parts. I was knocked flat for a day (coincidentally, the P90X “rest” day), but I still felt like giving my uterus a high-five for not being a stubborn ass for once.

Though the immediate results are pleasing, the process is anything but. I am preemptively angry leading up to the workout, knowing that as I’m flopping around like a grounded fish, I’m just going to end up pissed off at myself for ever getting so out of shape in the first place. I am almost ashamed to admit that at the end of today’s workout, I pulled a wimpy and almost started crying from self-pisstivity.  The only good thing about being so frustrated is that it motivates me to keep going despite my dislike of it making me feel like a tubby loser. I’m an angry gumball, indeed, but I guess that type of motivation is better than having no motivation at all.

Contrary to my short-term mind, I’m trying to stay focused on the on the long-term benefits that I know will come if I keep at it. Don’t be jealous when I am an endorphin-high skinny and a millionaire.

******

Tomorrow is the last day to enter the AboutOne Giveaway. Everyone can get a free trial to AboutOne and you might win big ass cookies made by Frank the Fantastic, and those DEFINITELY make you happy.

Have you signed up for the Sock It to Me Exchange, yet?

1. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on July 31, 2011 at 9:29 am

You can do it! I start my quest tomorrow. I’ve got your picture waiting for you.

2. Mrs. Gamgee on July 31, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’m starting a new workout routine (zumba) tomorrow and I’m scared to death that I’m going to fall flat on my face. Thankfully I’m doing it at home with dvds, but I’m still worried that I’m going to suck big time at this. Tomorrow is a holiday for us here, and I have told my Beloved that he has to leave the house for an hour or so, and take Ginny with him, so that when I do ‘flop around like a grounded fish’ at least I can do so in private.

Keep going! Those damned endorphins had better kick in soon… 🙂

(And yay for AF showing up on her own!)

3. Sara on July 31, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I hear you big time. Being weak and flabby blows, but fixing it blows as well. It’s a conundrum.

At least you still have your sense of humor.

4. a on July 31, 2011 at 12:28 pm

That endorphin story is a bunch of crap. It never feels good to work out. Anyone who says it does is deranged.

Buuuut, eventually it starts feeling worse if you don’t work out. For me, I get a version of restless leg syndrome – all my joints start creaking and popping and feeling really uncomfortable when I just sit around. That makes working out regularly feel a little better.

6 pounds is awesome. Keep up the good work!

5. Tisha on July 31, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I’ve never experienced a “runner’s high”–unless you count the relief that floods my body when I finish exercising. That said, I will admit to feeling some kind of a peaceful/refreshed/ energy thing after completing a yoga class. Maybe that comes from the savasana (aka mini-nap) towards the end of the class, but I’ll take it.

Congratulations on the 12 pound (so far) weight loss! Here’s to many more!

6. Barb on August 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

LOL at the bit about how we discuss our cycles and private bits. Too true.

And rock on! You can do it! I can relate to struggles such as these. xo

7. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on August 3, 2011 at 9:31 am

I’ve read several of the blogs mentioned here. Nice work. I will be following some of them.