Song Lyrics – Time Warp Tuesday

This is a meme that my good friend Kathy at Four of a Kind started up a couple of weeks ago. I’ve wanted to participate before now, but between getting into the swing of Aiming Low and (barely) keeping up here, I’ve been pretty busy. This was a good week for me to jump in.

What is Time Warp Tuesday? In Kathy’s own words, “The gist of Time Warp Tuesday is to revisit and share some of our favorite blog entries from our archives and reflect on our journeys since we wrote them.” Kathy chooses a key word or phrase, and then we are to search our archives and reflect on posts we’ve written about that topic. This week’s topic is song lyrics.

I’m a person who lives through music. I mark time by noting what songs were popular then. Given how frequently Frank and I moved as military brats, it’s not uncommon for us to say things like, “That song came out in ’87, because I was in Germany at the time and we always requested it at the dances at the DYA.” For almost any situation or timeframe in my life, there is a soundtrack of songs to which I connect. An eclectic taste in music and a passion for letting music move you emotionally was a gift given to me by my mother. Music is one of the things that bonded Frank and me. Now, we pass on the same love of music and meaningful lyrics to our kids. There is always music playing in our house. Loudly.

As much as music has been a part of this blog, I was a bit surprised to see just how many posts included lyrics or the mention of a song. The ones I’ve included here are only a few of them. They are the ones that have been the most significant in the parts of my life that I’ve shared here on the blog. There are a hundred others that I could tell you stories about…maybe telling the stories connected to some of my favorite songs will become a new regular feature here.

I’ve ordered the posts from the most recent and worked my way back (it’s strange how I feel like I”ve been writing for a very long time and like I’m a new blogger at the same time). For each header, I’ve given a link to the lyrics (first) and a link to the old blog post (second). On each of the lyrics pages, you can also listen to the song if you feel inclined to do so.

Before I bore you by blathering on about songs and past blog posts, I’d like to hear from you – what is a song that you connect a specific memory or person in your life and why? I always love hearing about how others connect music and their lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fortunate” by Lathun / Fortunate – June 22, 2011

Fortunately you, you have me, I have you.
It’s fortunate for us, we have love, love has us.
It’s fortunate that we, we have time on our side.
Never take for granted that we are so fortunate to be.

“Someone to Love” by Jon B. ft. Babyface is the song which pretty much defined the first ten years of our marriage. Frank proposed at my high school graduation party. It was pure coincidence that that song was the one playing when he asked for my hand. I always took it as a sign that the Universe was telling us that we were meant to be.

“Fortunate” is the song that defines this phase of our marriage. In June I wrote a post in honor of our 15th year of marriage/20th year together. I titled it “Fortunate” and included a link to the lyrics. We often remark at just how fortunate we truly are. We’re fortunate for not only still being in love, but also for still finding new reasons to be in love with one another. We’re fortunate to have come through a small battle with infertility to have four bright and funny children. We’re just all around fortunate. The word and song represents all that we have, to the extent that I had the word tattooed above my ankle this summer, and Frank had a more masculine version of the tattoo inked on his right bicep this past weekend.

Fortunate tattoo

My tattoo

Frank's tattoo
Frank’s tattoo

+++++++++++++++++

Canned Heat” by Jamiroquai / Canned Heat – June 14, 2011

I used to worry ’bout the future, but then I threw my caution to the wind.

I didn’t know it then, but this post was the beginning of the end of my efforts to be a surrogate. Up until this point, on my blog I’d been pretty hush-hush about my fourth surrogacy match. I didn’t want to say too much about it because it felt like I would have jinxed things by talking about it too soon. Perhaps I should have kept my damned mouth shut.

+++++++++++++++++

Peg” by Steely Dan / I’ve Seen Your Picture, Your Name In Lights Above It – October 29, 2009

I’ve seen your picture,
your name in lights above it.
This is your big debut.
It’s like a dream come true.

I geeked out to an embarrassing degree when fellow Steely Dan enthusiast Julie of A Little Pregnant commented on my blog for the first time. That then prompted me to ask about blog crushes. Which writers hold something of a celebrity status in your eyes? People who get paid stacks of fat cash and have loads of sponsors are givens. I asked specifically about people who might only be known only in your corner of the blogosphere, but a comment from them on your blog would still come close to making you shit your pants with excitement.

++++++++++++++++++

Joy Inside My Tears” by Stevie Wonder / Gratias tibi ago quod es / August 30, 2008

I’ve always felt that
tomorrow is for those
who aren’t too much afraid
to go past yesterday
and start living for today.

You have done what no one thought could be-
you brought some joy inside my tears.

I began this post by explaining how I first connected this song to The Days of the Empty Uterus. When we were in the throes of trying to conceive, I would listen to this song and imagine singing it to my future newborn. When I wrote this post, it was my regular commenters who were the joy inside my tears. I included the lyrics of this song by way of expressing my gratitude for the continuous support I received through my surrogacy attempts. At that point, I was about two months past the end of my journey with Mia and Urs and was very close to making things official with Chance and Apollo. The support I received from my bloggy friends got me through the negative transfer and subsequent chemical pregnancy with Mia and Urs. I had no idea how much more I would come to rely on that support through the two transfers and chemicals with Chance and Apollo. There were many tears, but the joy I had in knowing that you all had my back kept me afloat.

+++++++++++++++++

Bodhisattva” by Steely Dan / Bodhisattva – July 10, 2008

Bodhisatta won’t you take me by the hand?
Can you show me the shine of your Japan,
the sparkle of your China?
Can you show me?

Somewhere in the comments three or four posts before I wrote this one, someone mentioned that they didn’t picture me as a Steely Dan fan. I was inspired to write this post in response. In it, I told the tale of how when I was 12 or 13, a friend of my mom’s did a numerology chart on me and determined that I was a bodhisattva. Meaning, my soul had already recycled itself through reincarnation to the highest point of enlightenment. I had achieved nirvana, but I made a choice to come back again to fulfill some greater purpose on Earth. My mom said that I was her bodhisattva; I was the baby who followed two miscarriages and a doctor’s warning that my mother wasn’t likely ever to carry a baby to term.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Pink” by Aerosmith / Pink is My Favorite Color… May 9, 2008

Pink – it was love at first sight.
Yeah, Pink – when I turn out the light.
And Pink gets me high as a kite.
And I think everything is going to be all right
No matter what we do tonight.

This is the post in which I told the story behind the Pink Rose Awards, which originated here on my blog and made the rounds through the blogosphere (especially in the infertility/loss/adoption circles) in the latter half of 2008. This blog post was further connected to Strollers and Pink Roses, in which I wove together glimpses of Mother’s Days past – as a woman struggling with infertility and as a mother after infertility. The Pink Rose Awards were near and dear to me. I kept track as best as I could of the bloggers who received them and linked to them on The Rose Garden. There are almost 300 bloggers listed there.

Looking in retrospect, what I love the most about this post and the Pink Rose Award is that it was inspired by a comment that Luna of Life from Here left on Strollers and Pink Roses. We were cycle buddies – she was doing what would be her very last IVF attempt before moving on to adoption and I was working on my second transfer with Mia and Urs. I sent to her the mp3 of the song I was playing on repeat to try to keep my mind in a good place – “Happy Feelin’s” by Frankie Beverly and Maze. We had our transfers on the same day and both tried to feed some happy feelin’s into our bodies. Sadly, neither of our transfers worked. It warms my heart to know that almost 3.5 years later, Luna has two beautiful daughters – one via open adoption, and the other via a jaw-dropping stroke of luck (miracle?). Most of us within the ALI (adoption/loss/infertility) community know of Luna’s recent delivery (birthstory Part I and Part 2). This is one piece of my blog which I feel has come full-circle. I now think of Baby Z as a pink rose; she blossomed like a seed which tumbled into a crack in the pavement and onto an impossibly thin strip of fertile soil. Luna was the very first recipient of the Pink Rose Award. Full circle, indeed.

++++++++++++++++++

Hey, Nineteen” by Steely Dan / Hey, Nineteen – written March 20, 2008

No we got nothin’ in common.
No we can’t talk together.
No we can’t dance at all.

I wrote a post with the same title in response to finding out that my brother-in-law and his girlfriend were expecting a baby. At the time, he was 22 and four years past his high school graduation. She was nineteen and still had two years left before her graduation (yes, really). Ignoring the obvious, I felt that the lyrics were appropriate because they speak of the disparity in age between the two. Granted, there are just three years’ difference between the two of them and there are three years’ difference between Frank and me. However, there are six years’ difference between their graduation dates. It just seemed at the time that the two of them were worlds apart when speaking about maturity levels, and neither seemed ready to take on parenthood either singularly or collectively.

More than three years after I wrote the original post, I’m glad to report that the two recently celebrated their first wedding anniversary. They’re great parents; while they did need some guidance along the way (who doesn’t?), they were smart enough to know when they needed to ask for help. They never faltered in their love for each other and have overcome some external pressures to stay true to themselves and to each other. I’m proud of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you participate in this week’s Time Warp Tuesday (I hope you do!), here is the link to the blog hop on Kathy’s blog: Song Lyrics Time Warp.

Or, you can comment here with your answer to that question that I asked way up there (you have to scroll up, don’t you? I would have to  if I were you. I’m forgetful like that).

Five points to the first person who can tell me who my favorite band is.
Ten points to the person who can tell me which song lyrics  (and the artist) I posted on my OLD, OLD blog (the one before Smart One) on the day I delivered Baby M (my surrobaby).

1. Dani on October 11, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Ummmm do you know what the song “Pink” is about?!

2. JW Moxie on October 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Of course I do. Songs don’t have to have a literal interpretation for them to good significant meaning to a person.

3. El Cinco's Gran-Gran on October 11, 2011 at 6:48 pm

As By Stevie Wonder (Give me my ten points!)

As around the sun the earth knows she’s revolving
    And the rosebuds know to bloom in early May
    Just as hate knows love’s the cure
    You can rest your mind assured
    That I’ll be loving you always
    As now can’t reveal the mystery of tomorrow
    But in passing will grow older every day
    Just as all is born is new
    Do know what I say is true
    That I’ll be loving you always

Did you know that true love asks for nothing
    Her acceptance is the way we pay
    Did you know that life has given love a guarantee
    To last through forever and another day
    Just as time knew to move on since the beginning
    And the seasons know exactly when to change
    Just as kindness knows no shame
    Know through all your joy and pain
    That I’ll be loving you always
    As today I know I’m living but tomorrow
    Could make me the past but that I mustn’t fear
    For I’ll know deep in my mind
    The love of me I’ve left behind ’cause I’ll be loving you always

• JW Moxie on October 11, 2011 at 7:27 pm

DANGIT, MOM! I should have said that if you’re related to me you can’t answer. Now I need to think up another challenging trivia question.

• El Cinco's Gran-Gran on October 11, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Do I still get my 10 points??????????????

• JW Moxie on October 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Yeah, yeah – you still get your ten points!

4. luna on October 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm

ah what can I say? I’m so proud to have been there at the inception of the “pink rose” awards, and to have helped inspire them in some way. but I’m even more glad that we shared that experience as cycle buddies, which was the most redeeming thing for me about that cycle. I still have that song on my ipod and Mac and I think of you every time it comes up…

but really I am floored by your beautiful tribute here, to our story and to baby Z, who indeed blossomed like a seed exactly how you described here, so beautifully that you took my breath away and brought a tear to my eye. thank you for that, and for everything, especially your friendship.

love this whole post, all the lyrics and the music that permeates your writing and life! xoxox

• JW Moxie on October 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

The interesting thing is that I didn’t really process the whole full circle-ness of the Pink Rose Awards until I was in the flow of writing this post. I can admit to shedding a couple of tears when I wrote it. For once, a post here prompted tears of joy vs. sadness. There’s a special place in my heart for you, luna!

• luna on October 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I love that aspect of writing, the processing and flow.
        love tears of joy any day.
        xo

5. Kathy on October 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Thank you for your kind words my friend and for jumping in to do the Time Warp with us this week! You definitely made up for lost time, so to speak, with this post!

What an awesome and inspiring musical trip down memory lane… I found you and your blog over three years ago when my friend Katie from “Taking the Statistical Bullet” gave me a Pink Rose Award. Thank you for mentioning that in this post, as it moved me to look back at that time, when I first got to know you and I came across this post: http://chicagobensons.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-do-you-think-about-time.html

I also just realized that I never actually passed on the award. That was such a hard, sad and foggy time in my life, so soon after Molly’s birth and death, and along with so many other things that I wasn’t able to give my time and attention to, awarding Pink Roses to others escaped me. Is it too late? If not, one of these days I will have to take a look at awarding it to one or more of my wonderful blogging friends and maybe it will revive the process again and/or introduce a new group/generation of bloggers to Pink Roses. I already have a number of women in mind that I would like to award it too (I just scanned your Rose Garden list and most of them are not on it), so will have to get on that soon!

I loved and could so relate to this part of your post: “I’m a person who lives through music. I mark time by noting what songs were popular then….For almost any situation or timeframe in my life, there is a soundtrack of songs to which I connect.” and this “As much as music has been a part of this blog, I was a bit surprised to see just how many posts included lyrics or the mention of a song.” Me too!!!

As for the question you posed, you can find my answer in my Time Warp post this week! 😉 Thanks again for participating in my new blog hop/writing exercise this week. I definitely seem to have touched a chord (pun intended) with you in choosing this topic. Though I have not gone back and read and commented on every one of your older posts that you referenced here, I appreciate the synopses you shared and the excerpts of the song lyrics from those blog entries that you included.

Rock on my friend! xoxo

• JW Moxie on October 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Ahh, Kathy! Can you leave a good comment, or what?

I’d totally forgotten that it was the Pink Rose Awards which first connected you to my blog! Woooow.

There was something surreal about going back to read your post and the comments on it. All the emotions of being caught between one good beta and two sucky ones came rushing back to me in a flood. I think I was still very much a clockwatcher through my other surrogacy attempts, as much as I tried not to be. It hasn’t really been until recently that I’ve been able to become more of a moment-liver. I’m really trying to live in the moment and breathe in the here and now without worrying so much about what may or may not happen tomorrow.

I would LOVE IT if you passed on the Pink Roses. I never pushed promotion of the awards – it was never about SEO or anything like that. I just let it come to its own conclusion. I still love the idea behind the awards, though, as a way to let those you read know that you appreciate what they have to say and notice their presence in your life. I’ll craft a new button and I’ll send the code to you in an email before the week is over.

xoxo

6. Kristin on October 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I really LOVE the lyrics you’ve posted and truly love the meaning and sentiment behind so many of them.

Rock on, thugette.

• JW Moxie on October 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Thanks, Kristin!

7. a on October 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

Music is very much present in our house. It cracks me up to listen to my 5 year old sing pop songs. And then she’ll go and surprise me by humming Eine Kleine Nachtsmusik – I don’t even know where she picked that up, but when I heard it, I whipped out the Mozart CD. She’ll be singing Pumped Up Kicks one minute and Wild Horses by the Rolling Stones the next.

For myself – I don’t really associate music with specific times. But listening to the Violent Femmes always takes me right back to summers in high school.

• JW Moxie on October 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

We have that very same psycho-eclectic playlist thing going in our house. One minute the kids are listening to Stevie Wonder, the next they’re listening to “Teach Me How to Dougie,” and the next they’re wailing “La Vie Boheme.” I love it.

8. julie gardner on October 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Bill and I just celebrated our 15-year wedding anniversary this summer, too – AND we were going to get tattoos to commemorate the event but were cautioned to wait because

A. Chlorine is supposedly bad for a new tattoo (who knew?) and we swim a lot in the summer

B. We didn’t have something we felt STRONGLY enough about to both get permanently inked on our skin.

C. It’s $$$. Yeah. So.

I loved seeing your pictures and reading your words and am newly inspired to come up with the perfect design for a tattoo.

And music (which, to me, defines a moment more than almost anything else) seems like the best place to start…

Loved your Time Warp, my friend.

• JW Moxie on October 13, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Julie, a couple of weeks ago I read your post about your plans to get tattoos in commemoration of your 15th anniversary. It was another one of those WE SHARE HALF A BRAIN moments. We seem to have a lot in common! I can’t wait until I have a long stretch of time to curl up with a good book. Except instead of reading a book, I’ll curl up with my laptop and read your blog from start to finish.

9. Jjiraffe on October 13, 2011 at 3:21 am

Oh, this post rules. Although: no Soul2Soul? 😉 It’s rare that I nod so violently when reading a blog but I strained my neck on this one. I love so many of these songs, too, but I really love your stories and posts connected to them. You really connect a song to a mood or topic so beautifully.

Plus, “Canned Heat” is one of my all-time favorite dance songs ever. I used to live in London and Jamiroquai was HUGE there. Jay Kay was often photographed either driving some insane Ferrari with a see-through engine or falling out of some club, wasted. One of the two, always. Thankfully never together. I digress.

Love this post.

• JW Moxie on October 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Oh-ho, you got jokes, hmm? 😉 While I loved Soul2Soul’s run of hits in ’89-’90, they don’t rank up in my Top 20. Maybe somewhere in the Top 100. Soul2Soul songs remind me of the summer we spent in Chicago. We were in between one of our moves as a military family. Returning to Chicago (which was about as close to a hometown as we had) to spend time with family (Mom was born and raised there) was a common occurrence through my childhood.

That summer, Black culture was on a big “back to our roots” swing. Given their strong ethnic vibe, Soul2Soul was in heavy rotation. I hear those songs and I usually think of that summer – spending time with my cousins at my grandmother’s house, trips downtown to the museums (especially the Field Museum, where mom once was a security guard), and eating like pigs at the Taste of Chicago. Ohhh, those were the days.

I remember seeing a lot of those photos of Jay Kay over here. I have an uber-long Jamiroquai playlist on Spotify, and “Canned Heat” is on there at least five times. Seriously. (Is it sad that I know the choreography to the dance Napoleon did in “Napoleon Dynamite?” Probably.)

10. Businessolver Helps Dream Come True on November 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm

[…] #split {}#single {}#splitalign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}#singlealign {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}#splittitlebox {text-align: center;}#singletitlebox {text-align: center;}.linkboxtext {line-height: 1.4em;}.linkboxcontainer {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;background-color:#eeeeee;border-color:#000000;border-width:0px; border-style:solid;}.linkboxdisplay {padding: 7px 7px 7px 7px;}.linkboxdisplay td {text-align: center;}.linkboxdisplay a:link {text-decoration: none;}.linkboxdisplay a:hover {text-decoration: underline;} function opensingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = ''; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = 'none'; } function closesingledropdown() { document.getElementById('singletablelinks').style.display = 'none'; document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = ''; } Turning a bad situation into a dream come trueI can not tell you how thankful I am for your help — Dream Come True VacationsAERN Shorts better get off the Tracks when this Train comes Through!I’m in Best American Essays 2011!On This Day…Song Lyrics – Time Warp Tuesday […]