Everyday I'm Shufflin'

I’ve been the chair of my school’s Red Ribbon Week committee for the past three years. There is so much work that goes into planning the events and the culminating pep rally, but I have a great team of teachers working with me and each year’s celebration is better than the last.

I decided that this year’s theme would be “Everyday I’m Shufflin’ Against Drugs,” based on LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem.” A couple of months ago, I had the bright idea to put together a dance crew and choreograph a routine to the song for them to perform at the pep rally. Those of you who follow me on Twitter have seen me moan about my broken butt after many of the rehearsals. I started out with 100+ kids, but after the dropouts filtered through, I had a crew of 76 students. We’ve been practicing 2-3 times a week for the past 4 weeks.

The pep rally and big performance was last Friday. Just before they took the floor, I taught the whole school the last six 8-counts so that they could dance the steps in the bleachers. The whole performance was AMAZING. We had lots of parents in attendance, and I got lots of feedback from teachers and students that it was the best assembly that the school has had ever. It was definitely worth all that butt pain (literal and figurative) to see the students have so much fun.

The groovy thing is that I taught Kyra, Jaiden, and Kaelyn a portion of the routine (Jordan is way too shy for that kind of thing; he sat in the bleachers and watched).ย Frank checked the kids out early from their elementary school next door so that they could perform with us.ย The twins popped up about halfway through, and then Kaelyn joined in near the end of the song. Unfortunately, the kid I got to record the dance had the camera at an awkward angle, so you can’t really see Kaelyn dancing. You can see her sitting on the floor waiting to jump in, though. My nephew TJ is in 6th grade this year, and he’s in the dance crew, as well.

Check us out party rockin’ (you can’t miss me – I’m that Tweedledum-looking blob bouncing around in the front):

Happy Halloween! Are you dressing up tonight, and if so, as what? I was going to be a gangsta redneck, but because the student in the video who was the “Party Rock Robot” gave me her box head (and a super-sweet note of appreciation), I’m going as the Party Rock Robot tonight.

Word.

1. Alyssa @NearNormalcy on October 31, 2011 at 4:33 pm

You? Are officially the most awesome teacher of all time, ever. And dweedledum-looking blob? Girl please! Tweedledum never moved like that!

• JW Moxie on November 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’ll probably be voted most hated teacher of all time after my kids get finished busting their brains on this quiz I’m making them take!

Thanks, Alyssa! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Lori Lavender Luz on October 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! I want to learn it and teach it to a gym-full of kids.

Your party-rock quotient just got even higher than it already was. WOW!

• JW Moxie on November 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Or, you could just learn it with your kids and post a video! That would be amazeballs. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Amelia on October 31, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I loved this SO MUCH. The steps were awesome, they all looked like they were having a great time. *standing ovation*

• JW Moxie on November 1, 2011 at 10:14 am

Thank you, Amelia. They had a BLAST!

4. Francie on October 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Excellent!! Great work, you can see that the hard work paid off. Everyone looks great!

• JW Moxie on November 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

Thanks! It would have been REALLY great if I’d lost weight with all the practicing, but I ate cookies to soothe my achy butt. ๐Ÿ™‚ It was worth it, though, to see the whole school have so much fun!

5. LJ on November 1, 2011 at 6:47 am

OMG – Did I see the Kid-n-Play in that? You are beyond awesome.

• JW Moxie on November 1, 2011 at 10:17 am

Yeah – dances have a way of coming back around, don’t they? First it was the Charleston, then “our” generation called it the Kid and Play thanks to Kid and Play, and now THIS generation calls it “Shufflin’.”

Every ten years, I can be stylish again. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Chickenpig on November 1, 2011 at 8:34 am

You can really shake it, woman!! Tweedledum my fat ass ๐Ÿ™‚

You seriously rock. That was a long routine, and the kids stuck with it and did an awesome job. I would have loooooved the chance to do that when I was that age, but our school sucked. Every place needs a teacher like you ๐Ÿ™‚

PS I’m in trouble now because my daughter wants me to play it again…and again. At least she’ll learn something today. Shake it, girly, learn from the Master Moxie.

• JW Moxie on November 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

“Master Moxie.” Me likes it. Anything with alliteration rocks my socks.

Before too long, your daughter will Party Rock you out, too! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. JustHeather on November 1, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Woohoo!! That was a great performance by all.
    My friends were trying to shuffle this weekend and I think your group of kids out did my friends by far! Thanks for sharing the video with us.

8. En Cinco's Gran-Gran on November 2, 2011 at 7:14 am

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!! I knew it would all work out.

9. St. Elsewhere on November 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

Awesome job, Moxie!

And those compliments are fantastic. You are a good teacher!

10. JJ on November 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

You are the shiz. Way to GO girl – and how awesome for YOU and your students – they are one lucky bunch!

11. julie gardner on November 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm

A. You are beyond fabulous.

B. I would have needed a nap after those moves.

C. Tough quizzes mean you’re an excellent teacher.

D. I may or may not be wearing a box on my head RIGHT NOW!

E. Top Ramen IS delicious.

12. Balancing Act on November 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Finally catching up. Addy said that she wants to Kaelyn dance and kept asking me to move it so she could see her. So, video her and the crew dancing for her.

You rocked it and now this just means you are going to have to try and top it next year, when will you ever learn to be a slacker? LOL!

13. Grace on November 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

You significantly rock. That was a extended schedule, and the children trapped with it and did an great work. I would have loved the possibility to do that when I was that age, but our school sucked. Each and every area wants a instructor like you.