The Wisdom of Good Clothing

This morning while in the closet, I gazed longingly at Frank’s comfortably roomy sweatsuits, and then sighed and resigned myself to wear the teacher-apropos slacks and blouse. Maybe my slacks were maternity pants and perhaps “blouse” is far too dressy a word to apply to the three-sizes too big, button-up, striped sack of fabric, but I was comfortable. Screw style; the only labels I care about are the ones that say “XL” and “MADE WITH SPANDEX.”

You know you have problems when you pause to seriously consider the possible merits of Pajama Jeans.

If I had my way, I’d wear yoga pants* and oversized, stupid t-shirts every damned day.

Fashion?

I made this.

My homie Shannon, fellow lover of snarky shirts and creator of the Black Power shirt that she sent to me, bought this hoodie and a t-shirt for herself as Christmas gift to herself.

We’re debating whether or not we should put our snark to good use and open up a Zazzle shop.

It might provide the distraction I need to keep me from clicking “checkout” on my Pajama Jeans shopping cart.

*Yoga almost killed me. Doing hard physical work in yoga pants is a waste of good comfort, in my book.

1. a on January 10, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh how I hated to give up my maternity pants. But I do still have a couple pairs of Old Navy velour pajama pants that I wear as actual pants once in a while. Nobody has ever commented on them, so I run with it.

I do love yoga pants, although I have never done yoga. I just bought a yoga DVD though. We’ll see what happens.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Lemme know how that yoga goes. I hope you don’t break your ass muscles the way I broke mine. πŸ™‚

• a on January 13, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Ha! I tried the P90X version of yoga today. I think I spent half of the time staring slack-jawed, saying “ow, that hurts, I can’t do that,” or falling over. I am not flexible in my legs. Plus, my shoulders are not strong enough for 45 minutes of plank, upward dog, downward dog. My ass muscles are OK (mostly because I only did half the exercises), but my shoulders are gonna be saaaaad.

2. Miss W on January 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I own not one, not two, but THREE pairs of pajama jeans. And I love them. Amen.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Do you really? I mean REALLY really? I might need to go buy those suckers after all.

• Miss W on January 16, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Really and truly. And I LOVE THEM! T is, apparently, an advertisers target audience – he quotes the commercial…and bought one pair for me for Mother’s Day and two more pairs for Christmas. And my SIL didn’t know they weren’t regular jeans until I lifted my shirt and showed off the drawstring and 2 mile long fake fly (note: only wear long shirts with these, mid-butt length or longer)

3. Mrs. Gamgee on January 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I hear you. I just invested in some nice new (maternity) clothes, but all this past week I’ve been living in pjs and sweats. Of course, I also haven’t left the house in days, but that’s par for the course when I’m sick. Ugh.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I hope you’re feeling better soon, sweetie.

Of course, I don’t need to be sick to laze around in sweats and pjs. There should be some sort of law saying that sweats, yoga pants, and pjs are professional wear.

4. Cynthia M on January 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm

See, now I have convinced myself that jeans skirts are getting away with murder because clearly they’re dressy; they skirts! But they’re jeans! Yes! It’s a win. I’m teaching in dressy teacher clothes and I’m comfy! AND since they’re jeans, they go with whatever shirt falls out of my closet when I get dressed. Also, when I’m tempted to strangle one of my “clients,” I remember that I’m in a skirt and that wouldn’t be ladylike. Jeans skirts have saved more than one sassy child from sudden death.

5. Kristin on January 11, 2012 at 12:43 am

I think you definitely need to open a Zazzle store. I <3 snark.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I think I just might. I just need to figure out how to squeeze in a few more hours in my day to give me time to work on it.

6. Lily on January 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

I definitely still wear my Bella Band from when I was pregnant…over two years ago! Buttoning pants just seems to pointless, and painful! The best part is the band looks just like a cami under my shirt. No muffin top, no nasty red marks from the pants digging into my skin. It’s totally win-win!

However, I do realize how sad it is to still be wearing my Bella Band almost 3 years later so now I’m on a quest to stock my closet full of elastic waist dress pants. (Insert Rocky music here.)

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I never used a Bella Band when I was pregnant, but you are seriously making me consider buying one now.

7. Lori Lavender Luz on January 11, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Now THAT’s FUNNY!

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:34 pm

If only I could get away with wearing that shirt to school….

8. Shelli on January 11, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Funny! And the bonus… I got to challenge my brain cells reading upside down. That was as much fun as playing Words with Friends. I think I’ll start my next WWF game using only snarky words.

I’m a geek, yes. And I own many pairs of yoga pants. Never did yoga in my life.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm

That’s why you’re a part of my posse, Shelli. Snarky AND lazy.

Word.

9. Tisha on January 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I must be the weirdo in the group, because I actually wear yoga pants… to do yoga. That said, if I have nothing else going on outside the house I’m usually chilling in my fleece pajama pants.

And oh my goodness, I LOVE that sweatshirt!

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Fleece pajama pants…well, really ANY item of clothing made of fleece is a friend of mine.

You and Lori have fun with that yoga. I’ll think about you two aligning your chakras and finding your center.

It’s the thought that counts, right? πŸ™‚

10. Balancing Act on January 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I have been wearing yoga pants and sweats nearly every day for a couple years now, I miss having a reason to get dressed.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Yeah, I know…those days will come back eventually, Carrie!

11. Another one suffering from chickenitis, otherwise known as a total chickenshit. on January 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm

1. My chin looks weird in that picture. 2. Screw the pajama jeans, go straight to the Forever Lazy. 3. I want the pacifier shirt, so get crackin’ on the design. πŸ™‚

Sincerely,
    Your fellow smartass and borderline t-shirt hoarder.

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I had to look up the Forever Lazy to see what it was.

I need that thing yesterday.

12. Mama P on January 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I won’t admit that it took me a few minutes to actually GET IT but I totally think you should open a Zazzle store, I’d be a customer there!

I don’t like my clothes so I steal my hubbies all the time! Right now I’m pregnant so nothing really fits but I really hate having to actually get dressed because I’m always uncomfortable, but I’ve never actually worn yoga pants before!

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I always wore Frank’s clothes when I was pregnant. Well, until I got too big to even wear his clothes. πŸ™‚

• Mama P on January 13, 2012 at 7:19 pm

lol, now if I get to big for hubbys clothes I’m just going to go naked. He’s wearing a 3x these days!

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm

HA! Well, my Frank is a bean pole, but he wears 2XX shirts for the roominess. I wear 2XX to keep my shirts from having the windowshade effect, in which they roll up over the gut if they’re too small.

13. Sara on January 12, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hell yeah to the Zazzle store.

I have a pair of maternity yoga pants (take the moment that you need to digest that–maternity + yoga pants all in one delicious package) that I still wear to WORK sometimes four years later. Jealous?

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm

MATERNITY YOGA PANTS? That sounds like a special level of heaven. Yes, I have the jealousies.

14. leanne on January 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love yoga pants. I’ve never done yoga. Not really planning on it either πŸ™‚

• JW Moxie on January 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm