Frank and I are in the middle of doing a major makeover of our bedroom. It’s the one room in this house that we’ve never done much with. A few years ago we painted it, but we never got much further than that. Our room became the repository for Crap Which Guests Are Not to See. It became a 13’11” x 12’10” junk drawer, complete with the furniture that we’ve had since our first year of marriage 16 years ago and a rickety, half-dead entertainment center that was once in the living room, then was used in the kids’ playroom for a couple of years. I knew it was time to quit putting off the chore when Frank started putting the moves on me and I was too distracted by imagining paint colors to notice. “What do you think about taupe?” is never a good response to, “Does that feel good, baby?”
We got busy in the girls’ room last weekend. That soooo did not sound right. What I mean is that we started our streak of home improvement in the girls’ room last weekend. You might remember the last makeover of that room from a couple of years ago that took it from this:
We spent nearly all of last weekend getting this Poop and Pepto situation taken care of. We still have a bit of decorating left to do, but the major work is done. I have an easy project planned to do with the kids to make some art for the walls above the girls’ beds, and we still have to figure out what to do with the rest of the empty wall space.Excuse the crappy photos that I snapped in haste with my iPad; I’ll take better ones and get them posted soon. Still, you can get a good idea of what their room looks like now:
We love the airiness and color scheme that we chose for their room. We loved it so much that we decided to use a similar palette for our own room. So, we’re redecorating. As in, RIGHT NOW; I have paint splatters all over my hands and clothes. I should be busy doing something purposeful, but I thought that writing was more important. I have priorities, dammit.
On our To Do List –
- declutter (DEAR GOD, THE CLUTTER)
- move out the
exercise bikehandy place to hang clothes
- ripping up and disposing of the old carpet
- refinishing the old wardrobe
- buying a new dresser (to be used as a TV shrine/storage for papers/camera stuff/office supplies/other random junk)
- refinishing the dresser we found
- installing a new ceiling fan
- installing the new carpet
- putting the new storage cubes together for the “office” corner of the room
- dragging everything back in and figuring out a good arrangement
- decorating with the few items we’ve already purchased. We still need to find a few pieces of wall art and need to print selected family photos to frame and hang.
We’re somewhere between 7 and 8. While the first coat of paint dries, Frank is in the room installing the new ceiling fan. I’m sitting here hogging up the kids’ computer and eating chicken.
Strike that – I’d better get back in there and help Frank. I just heard him yell out that he lost his nuts.
I do hope that he was talking about the ones needed to brace the fan in place.