Let Dominic Speak: Raise Your Voice Against LGBT Discrimination and Live through Love

Appalled and heart-broken, this morning my best friend, Becky, informed me of this issue. She sends her sons, Nick (10) and Christian (my Godson, 8 ) to private school. Sacred Heart Academy in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan is the  Pre-K to Grade 12 private school of Sacred Heart Parish. Its “Roman Catholic faith community” has served the Central Michigan area since 1872. Their church and school motto exemplifies their spirit of “generous stewardship”:

One Community, One Spirit, One Heart…

except if you’re gay, apparently.

Dominic Sheahan-Stahl is a former student of Sacred Heart Academy. He was recently asked to be the keynote speaker at this year’s graduation ceremony. This special opportunity was even more significant for Dominic because his youngest brother will be graduating at the ceremony.

Honored, Dominic prepared a moving speech about not letting fear prohibit you from moving forward in life. He ordered his plane tickets. He shared his excitement about speaking at his alma mater with his friends on Facebook.

He also shared his excitement of his recent engagement…to his boyfriend.

This news eventually circulated and landed in the ears of the Bishop of the Diocese.

Dominic’s invitation to be the keynote speaker at his brother’s graduation was rescinded. He was specifically told that if he hadn’t been so openly gay and shared photos of his engagement to man on Facebook, then maybe they wouldn’t have uninvited him.

Now, it comes as no surprise to me that a Catholic school associated with a Catholic church (or any church) might have strong feelings against homosexuality and the LGBT community.

However, there is something about this decision that feels insidious. Maybe because it was done so casually, like they were brushing away a smudge of dirt from their pristine sheets. They’re not the infamous Westboro Baptist Church, after all, who is known for its extreme and incendiary homophobic tactics. No–they simply said, “You can’t speak,” and expected that this little issue would go away.

Dominic has been openly gay for 14 years. This is the first time he’s felt discrimination. I stand in awe of Dominic, because instead of letting the hurt he feels “shush” him the way they hoped it would, he is using his voice to speak out.

They wanted to quiet him. They insinuated that he should keep his sexuality to himself, and by doing so, insinuated that everyone else should, too.

“Right now, I’m trying to make a difference for all those who are out there struggling with their sexuality…I don’t want to fight; I want to inform.”

I’m right there with you, Dominic.

If you are, too, here are some things that you can do to help Dominic’s voice–and the voices of others–be heard:

“If we can just live through love, then life can be so much of a happier place,” Dominic said.

Word.

Photo Credit

1. Kristin on April 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Well said my beautiful friend!

2. Tisha on April 26, 2012 at 5:07 pm

“If we can just live through love, then life can be so much of a happier place”

Ain’t that the truth.

3. Anissa on April 26, 2012 at 6:08 pm

God. Ironic that I would write the post I did this week not knowing THIS had happened. Thank you for spreading the word.

4. julie gardner on April 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Oh no. No, no no no no. What? If he hadn’t been SO OPENLY GAY?
    Like, maybe if he’d just been a little bit gay it would have been okay?
    Insidious, indeed.

I’ve tweeted a several links already today, so I will wait and tweet this tomorrow by itself – so it doesn’t get lost in the noise of twitter.

Because this needs to be heard.
    Thank you for being the voice for everyone.

5. dirtycowgirl on April 26, 2012 at 8:17 pm

This is disgusting.

But I am not surprised that it comes from a Catholic organisation.

I suppose if he had been sleeping with kids that would’ve been fine.
    Posted and shared and signed.

I’ve also just posted on my blog, not many views yet so I’m gonna add a link to this post at the bottom 🙂

(Still not finished the post about Son, struggling with finding the right words for what I want to say, but if it doesn’t happen this week I’ll do another about nifw) x

• dirtycowgirl on April 26, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Done, and have also posted the link to four blogger friends who are gay themselves and have a lot of gay readers. Lets get the guy viral.

Power to the people and all that !

6. Kristin on April 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I finally got my post written. Here’s the link http://thefertileinfertile.blogspot.com/2012/04/values.html

7. Jjiraffe on April 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! What a brave young man. This is so not fair. I tweeted this too and sincerely hope it goes super viral!

8. Sara on April 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

Congratulations to Dominic and his fiance. I hope that they have a lifetime of joy together. If the Sacred Heart Academy doesn’t support love and commitment, well, I really don’t know what kind of values they think they’re teaching, but I hope that the parents that are paying to send their children to this school are given pause.