Bullets Are for Gangstas – Episode 6

May just blew right the hell on past me. In the past three weeks, I’ve:

• hosted three slumber parties for Jordan’s, Kyra’s, and Jaiden’s birthdays. Jordan is the only one with a birthday actually in May. The twins’ birthday is in June. We always have their parties before the school year ends. This is a military town, and many of their friends move away within a week or two of the last day of school. With all those parties, I will have no desire to eat cake for a very long time. Like until Monday.
  • I’ve started packing up my classroom. I’ve been at the same school for all 12 years of my career, and next year I’ll be at a different middle school across town. This is a change that I requested and was lucky to get. I’m looking forward to starting a new school year in a way that I haven’t felt in years. Still, the move will be bittersweet. I love my teaching team–especially Mrs. R. She and I have been on the same team for the past 9 years. Needless to say, we’ve become really good friends over the years. Leaving her is the hardest part about making this transition. Next Tuesday and Wednesday are the last two days of post-planning and my last official days as a part of that school’s staff. I must remember that I’m a gangsta and that I go hard; there’s no crying in being a gangsta.
  • But yesterday doesn’t count. The twins finished elementary school and are now officially 6th graders. DID YOU HEAR ME? I HAVE MIDDLE SCHOOLERS. Tomorrow, they’ll be off to college. iCry.
  • My Nerd Herd cleaned house at their awards ceremonies. I’ll contain my bragging to one emphatic “BOOYAH!”
  • Aiming Low posts I’ve written in the past few weeks that you may have missed:
  • I wrote a project for Donors Choose and had it fully funded within a week. Donors Choose is this amazingly awesome resource that connects classroom teachers with individual people and businesses who want to support  education in the most direct way possible–by helping teachers get supplies for their classroom and students that they might not otherwise be able to. You can filter by subject, grade level, state, county/district, and school. Every little bit helps. Give a little, or give a lot. To me. I have a second project that’s looking for funding called We’ve Got the Right Stuff; Now We Need the Write Stuff! I have $98 of a $380 project left to go before it’s fully funded. Seriously, though – even if you don’t donate to me, consider looking for someone to donate to, even if it’s just 5 bucks. We teachers need all the help that we can get.
  • Frank has just over a year left to go in school. It was April of 2009 when I wrote about how excited I was when he’d finally chosen Health & Physical Education a major. Now he’s trying to narrow down what grade level he’d like to teach. Right now it’s a toss-up between elementary and middle. I think he’ll do great at any level, but it’s adorable to think of him teaching the little guys.

Speaking of the man, he’s beckoning me take a bath with him. Rawr. I’ll be back with regularity after I get all the stuff moved over to my new classroom and close out the school year next week. Word.

In the meantime, what’s good in your hood, lately?

1. a on May 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I’m cranky today because 1) my husband went back to work this week which means I have no one to clean my house, mow my lawn, organize my mail (which he does poorly, but still), watch our daughter, etc. 2) my daughter completed preschool, which means she starts kindergarten in 5 minutes and in an hour she’ll be in college. Sigh

Congratulations on your move! It’s sad that you won’t be seeing your friend every day, but a new school is probably very exciting!

2. Nera Fuss on May 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I am not familiar of this movie. Thanks for sharing this video. I have watched it and it is really nice.

3. Karyle on May 29, 2012 at 2:23 am

I think I haven’t heard about this before.. I am not sure if I knew some of this episode but thanks for providing this video..

4. Paula on May 29, 2012 at 3:29 am

I agree with you on the part of time passing by so fast that we are caught off-guard. Like you said, Middle Schoolers now, College students tomorrow.

5. Claire on May 29, 2012 at 9:53 am

I am not sure if I knew some of this episode but thanks for providing this video.. I am looking forward for more great and usable post.

6. Laura on May 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Hmm nice .. I like it a lot , it pretty cool i must say … its a husla thing ..

7. DynnaLou on May 29, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I have never heard about this kind of episode but my friend here actually said its interesting.. Well anyway, I will still check this out..

8. Crystal on May 30, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Even the fashion-conscious have become closely acquainted with them, as bullets show up in everything from clothing design to jewelry..

9. Esperanza on May 31, 2012 at 7:02 pm

That is a very busy month! Makes mine seem tame and I was drowning.

Congrats on being done with the school year. I hope your move goes smoothly. I have two more weeks and I also have to pack my room, but just to move to another space. Boo!

I’ll definitely check out those posts. Thanks for linking to them.

10. julie gardner on May 31, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Lots of cake AND a bath with your husband?

(I’m sorry. I know there was a lot of other good stuff up in this post but I got sidelined by those two pieces of decadence…go you!)

Anyway, keep kicking ass, my friend. I hear you on the transferring of schools – sometimes change is good but it’s hard to leave so many memories…

You know what I hear helps?
    Cake. And baths.

Oh yeah.

11. Kellie M. Mercie on June 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm

For me it is so wonderful and yet so interesting I am looking forward for more great post.

12. Alvin on June 1, 2012 at 4:14 pm

This is quite what I’ve been looking for. This episode is really epic. Where do you get the full episodes? Anyway, thank you very much for sharing this video.

-Alvin

13. JuliaKB on June 4, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I had one sleepover in May (for the girly whose actual b-day is in March, duh), and that was rather enough for me. You rock! Hardcore. But you knew that, yes?

Congrats on getting your project(s?) funded and on getting the new school assignment you wanted. I am sure the leaving of the old was hard, but I hope the new will be as wonderfully challenging as you are envisioning it.

Also? Apparently here middle school starts in 5th grade. So Monkey’s gonna be in middle school next year too. Which I think is kinda cheating, but still, DAMN!

And thank you for welcoming me back. I really didn’t expect anyone to care. But, awwww, I really appreciate that you do. Missed ya. 🙂