A Teachable Moment

The sky cracked open and it began to rain. Hard.

But the sun was shining.

Noses and hands pressed against the windowpanes, they looked dejectedly at the rain, as if it were an intruder that had wedged a gap between them a dear friend.

“Oh, man!” said the loud one.

“Bummer,” said the quiet one.

“It’s like a deluge,” said the wordy one.

“We were just about to go outside!” said the active one.

“So what’s stopping you?” said the mother one.

Pause. Heads tilted. Glances exchanged among them.

“You mean…we can go out and play in the rain?” the tall one asked. They waited expectantly.

“Why not?”

A  heartbeat later, they burst out into the rain. They splashed. They screamed. They laughed. They proclaimed it to be the new best day ever.

This is what it’s all about, isn’t it?

Adapt. Overcome. Live. Play. Take chances.

Hide from the storms, and you might miss the rainbows.

1. Megan on June 5, 2012 at 12:53 am

Love it. I can’t wait for a warm summer rain here so we can do the same thing.

Congrats on your move to a new school. I hope it turns out to be even better than you hope.

P.S. – In case you missed it, I updated recently.

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

MEGAN! It’s always good to see you here. Love, love, love, and miss you.

I’m teaching summer school at my new school, and though it’s nothing like the regular school year, I’m enjoying it so far. Everyone has been welcoming and very helpful. Loving it. I’m actually excited for the next school year to start, which is something that I haven’t been able to say in a long while.

I need to head over and read your post!

2. Esperanza on June 5, 2012 at 1:18 am

The other day we were at a playground and the sprinklers came on (scattering a huge group congregating on the grass for a birthday party) and my daughter immediately ran out to play in the spray. She didn’t think twice about it, and I didn’t either. She had the BEST time that morning at the park. I’ve never seen her happier. I hope I never forget to let her live those moments joyfully, no matter the consequences. A walk home in wet clothes never hurt anyone.

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 12:25 pm

“A walk home in wet clothes never hurt anyone.” I LOVE this line. There’s a metaphor in there, for sure. I wrote this down on my List of Good Things to Remember. 🙂

3. loribeth on June 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

There’s a new little girl in our neighbourhood, and dh & I were watching her on Saturday, happily stomping through fresh puddles. Dh said, “That’s as it should be!” : )

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm

You are so right about that, Lori.

4. a on June 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm

We like to use our pop-up thunderstorms to pry our daughter away from the neighbor children. It’s hard to come back from that. But I did love those sun showers when I was a kid!

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I loved them, too, a! After I finished snapping my fill of pictures, you’d better believe that I was out there splashing around with them!

5. julie gardner on June 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Yep. This is awesome.

Said the blog-friend one.

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Heehee. You make me laugh, Julie. <3

6. Io on June 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

This is such a *pretty* post. It made me smile. (also, I have spent far too long staring at this picture. Is there a ghost in the middle there?)

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

What ghost where?

• Io on June 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

In the picture with the kids. Black smoke looking thing in between the far kids…YOU HAVE A GHOST. That is so cool.

• JW Moxie on June 5, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I had to re-open the photo and zoom in. I think you’re looking at the dark spot in between the bushes and the reflection that it’s casting on the water.

But Kyra’s into ghosts, so I called her in to do an apparition assessment. She said, “That’s totally a ghost. Way awesome.”

7. Lori Lavender Luz on June 6, 2012 at 1:00 am

Love. You’re so wise.

8. leanne on June 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Love that the kids thought this was the best day ever. Sometimes it’s the simplest things.

9. Heidi on June 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Love it! Loved your last “new best day ever” post too! such a good momma.

10. Alexicographer on June 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

What a delight, and what a smart mom. My son has picked up from my own mother the following line: We’re not made of sugar [and therefore will not melt in the rain]. I remember that one (from my childhood) as “you’re not sweet enough to melt!” though my mother insists she never said that (still, it’s true!). Recent joys with my son include riding our bicycles through big puddles over and over (and over and over) again, and a very funny (IMO) walk involving his digging out two huge umbrellas and our progressing down the street/sidewalk as if in a parade/procession, then turning around and returning home. You kind of had to be there (he led the way with running commentary and picked the moment to turn around very solemnly) but really, although I had thought going out to walk with him was nuts, it was in fact quite lovely.

What is this about a new school? Did I miss something? Sounds exciting!

11. Lib Aubuchon on June 8, 2012 at 10:37 am

*sniff* something about this post made me feel teary. maybe the combination of the lovely sentiment and the gorgeous photo, not sure. as a mom i feel i notice too few opportunities like this. thanks for sharing. 🙂

12. Marc Anthony on June 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

This is really nice .. i had some moments like that .. but every moment can be counted as a teachable one if you want to learn something from it ..